Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:21:22 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon total drag and mechanical losses
Comments: To: Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Martin suggested using a video camera to record a vehicle's speedometer while allowing it to coast down from a fast highway speed. What an excellent idea. Love it. But I see limits caused by possible data collection errors: Vehicle weight, speedometer lag, and accurate reading of the speedometer in the frame images. This last objection becomes trivial if enough data points are tracked because the pattern would imply incremental values. Camera position should approximate the position from which the calibration readings were taken or that would bias results. Put your head against the driver's window, hold the speedometer on your right shoulder with the macro lens position selected, and start the coast down test. Applying theory to practice is often tedious.

On any long Interstate highway trip, it's a vary straight forward procedure to create a speedometer conversion table for decoding those unreliable indicated speeds into actual speeds. I have found the toughest part of speedometer calibration to be holding indicated speed constant. So I find cruise control equipped vehicles best for this task. Don't even bother trying to do this where the road isn't a constant inclination, which generally means level. Going across Nebraska, there are long stretches where you could trust the continuous incline or decline, depending on your direction, but that's atypical of inclines. Incline variations yield speed variations, so don't trust them.

Even with a cruise control equipped vehicle, I have recorded too much mile to mile timing variation to be willing to trust distance increments as short as a mile. I prefer 5 mile increments, but if I'm on a day long drive, I'll go to 10 mile legs to record the minutes and seconds. I observe mile marker posts as their image passes the windshield edge or the wing vent, depending on the vehicle's design. A steep angle compared to the vehicle's direction gives more accurate comparisons between observations. Just hold your driving position and turn your head and click your stop watch.

To be really confident that the number of video tape frames per second relates to seconds as we expect, I would attach one of those cheap, pulse movement, analog display digital clocks to the dash next to the speedometer so it would share the video taped frame image with the speedometer. This would give a 2nd indicator of one second time increments.

For vehicle road weight, I would fill the fuel tank and, if the test vehicle is a Westy, note how much water is in the potable water tank, since 13 gallons is about 105 pounds. Then stop at highway weigh stations. I've asked them to weigh me many times and found them to be very cooperative. After all, if I want to repeat future testing, knowing the vehicle weight depends on knowing these tank levels or having it tested again and again.

Now I've got to introduce a couple real world problems I see with Martin's excellent proposal. The first is the accuracy of the scale measurements. These DOT highway scales are used to catch big trucks which are running over their license weight limit. I don't know how much dirt and mud and junk accounts for variations I've encountered, but they exist, and they are significant for a comparatively light vehicle like our Vanagons and Westys. On one trip from Iowa to Connecticut a couple years ago, just for the fun of it (so I'm weird), I stopped at every open DOT road scale and asked them to weigh my Mazda diesel truck. Even after compensating for fuel weight between each scale weighing (more fun), I recorded over 100 pounds variation between different DOT road scale estimates! I used to call them measures, but now I call them estimates because they vary by so much. So my first concern with Martin's procedure is getting a true weight value for plugging into our calculation.

My second concern is known as speedometer lag. One of my long time pals has worked for the automotive press for decades and was the technical editor for one of the most popular US auto magazines. I asked about the use of their expensive "fifth wheel" calibrated output device that they clamped to the back of test vehicles. It was a lot like a motorcycle tire with a hall effect transistor counting pulses caused by moving magnets which showed a certain angle of rotation by the tire. By marking a spot on the tire and starting spot on the ground, you can count off 100 rotations and measure that distance, so you know how far one tire rotation is with good accuracy. Now all you need is a digital timer and you can start recording accelerations, decelerations and absolute speeds with a high degree of confidence. You can smoke a test vehicles tires and show 40 mph on it's speedometer, but that 5th wheel just records pulses and time increments, so it's unaffected by those inaccuracies. I was told they had learned that speedometers typically lag toward their previous value on both acceleration and deceleration readings. So you can't trust them until speed has stabilized. But we want to measure speed in flux, so we can't trust the speedometer readings. Grrrr.

An 8 to 19 year old Vanagon's speedometer is to be trusted to accurately track even it's recalibrated to show constant speed displays for our variable speed testing? Suppose it's showing a 2 mph lag? Of course lag would be a function of speed. Oh more fun, . . . NOT! That would displace our entire chart by that implied horsepower requirement difference, and at 75 mph, where the coast down deceleration would be high, a 2 mph speed difference will be several horsepower to a tall Westy.

I think using the video tape technique will be fun and instructive, but I still want at least one data point which I KNOW is accurate. Since I don't trust the single road scale weight estimates, and I expect speedometer lag would have some biasing effect, I want one data point I can trust. Just one very accurate 60 second per mile long cable pull tension would give us one reliable data point by which we could adjust the values derived from timed coast down testing. If you know the speed is 60 seconds per mile and you know the long tow cable tension, you can know the horsepower without any other assumptions, period. That I would trust.

I didn't know that towing vehicles with ropes was still legal in any state as Martin seemed to imply. I hope that he's right I was wrong. Does anyone know of a state where it's legal? In my youth, I once destroyed a motor on the highway (don't ask, it has something to do with exceeding design limits with my modifications and testing) and called a friend who came with a long chain and a long pipe. He fed the chain through the pipe and attached the vehicles together. I steered the towed vehicle for about 200 miles over the twisty roads back home that way and it worked wonderfully, both in pulling and braking. Just one idea for your bag of tricks.

Also, could someone comment on how long the tow cable should be? I know 10 feet is way too short. I know 1000 feet is unnecessarily long. But I don't have a good feel about how far out you have to go to approximate the long value in decaying induced draft effects. I'll bet there's a body of literature about that somewhere from high speed racers testing. John