Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:55:44 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Unnecessary negativism
Comments: To: Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I responded to Mark directly, rather than through the List, in which I said, >"If you heard a rod knocking, you'd pull the pan and >change the bearings rather than waiting for it to break wouldn't you? Why >react to this (Syncro transmission warning sound differently?"

Mark good naturedly responded to my private note by answering it through the List.

Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@lear.csp.ee.memphis.edu in one of a whole bunch of generally negative postings said ~

"Except that by the time you can hear a rod knocking, it's already too late. By that time the crank throw will be worn undersize, and the rod may be distorted."

Jeeze, silly me. I'll have to go back in a time machine and not repair a knocking Chevy for a friend that way. And while I'm at it, I'll have to have a stern talk with that motor. It went over 80,000 miles that I know of before he sold it without giving bottom end problems, but maybe the next owner did. If you read the history of how and why bearings are made as they are, you'll see discussion of

how they intentionally designed yield capacity into bearings to accept scratches rather than forcing a particulate to scratch the hardened journal. The same thing is true of clearance impacts. My advice on that particular put down, is to leave some wiggle room in your fault finding for happier realities. As you stated it, your comment sounded patronizing, overbearing, and yet it was flat wrong. If the first warning bearing noises cause a timely response, their replacement often offers a lot more functional life without a complete rebuild.

Mark publicly stated in his note that he DID hear bearing noises. Yet Joshua went on to say, "As for transmissions, I doubt it would be of much value to preemptively replace the bearings. If you listen carefully, you'll hear bearing noise long before the thing grenades." Speaking of listening carefully, did you listen to Mark's statement before you went public with that comment?

Another of Joshua's notes says: ****copy follows**** >Talk to me. What do you see as the costs and benefits to this kind of >approach? Would it screw up the interior too much? >John

Well, if you don't need your rear seat, and you don't mind cutting a hole in your van the size of a washing machine, then it's no problem. :-)

Seriously, it would mean a lot of fabrication, and you'd lose a whole bunch of interior space. It would be much less work to modify the transmission to allow the differential to be flipped.

Get out a tape measure, you'll soon find it's pretty unworkable. ****end copy**** I addressed the fact that this speculative proposal would require a new removable access cover toward the front of the rear axle equivalent to the factory opening that's currently behind it. Since the factory opening is "the size of a washing machine," naturally the one I proposed would be too. Why the put down patronizing negative evaluation of the new cover I had already said would be needed?

Obviously I already knew what I proposed would require some fabrication. I outlined it. I don't have as many fingers as the number of transplants I performed before some List members were born. Lighten up please. But again you flatly state "you'd lose a whole bunch of interior space." You mean

that installing the transaxle/motor package in the reverse direction would cause it to project further forward of the axle center line than it would project backward from the axle center line if it were conventionally mounted? If that's not what you're saying, then I think the comments in my proposal addressing interior space still fit well. I happen to be at another of my places over a thousand miles from my parked Westy, so I can't run out and throw a tape at this, but judging by photos and drawings of the rear seat position compared to the real axle center line, I still think it might be workable. If

someone would measure an Audi A6 5 cylinder TDI diesel setup with the 6 speed trans (the lowest rpm/mph option I've found), I would love to learn it's

minimum axle to motor end projection so we can compare it to the rear seat space. You flatly stated, "you'd lose a whole bunch of interior space." More

than I already described in my proposal? Please share your actual measurements so others can know this too. Where did you gain access to the needed measurements of an Audi A6 140 hp. TDI diesel with 6 speed since they have never been imported into the US or Canada? Surely not in Memphis. Yet you flatly state, "Get out a tape measure, you'll soon find it's pretty unworkable." If this is based on facts you know to be true, please post those measurements. I did ask for them in my note. But if it's just based on speculative opinion, why are you so damned sure that you don't even leave the possibility open for reality being different from your speculations?

To the best of my knowledge, that proposal is the ONLY Vanagon transplant that comes close to matching the world's lowest BSFC engine series at its lowest BSFC rpm range with typical Interstate highway cruise speeds. That implies to me that every other approach would give inferior mpg and lack other benefits I mentioned. That's why I proposed it despite its difficulties. All these assertions are based on FACTS that can easily be verified without even leaving your I-net connected computer, yet I stated my conclusions as only my opinions, rather than as flat statements of fact. Do you see the difference? I have yet to see anyone contest the benefits of optimally matching the world's best auto engine BSFC to cruise rate through gearing.

He gave others in that same note series what appeared to me to be patronizing put downs. He even attacked Robert Alexander's obvious humor for technical merit. Get a grip. Surely you don't want to be known as Mr. Quibbler, or the Black Cloud that follows Linus, the Rain Man or something like that, do you? Maybe you were having a bad day, but if you review the barrage of notes you sent out in that group Joshua, even you may agree that your were in a "dog kicking mood" or something was eating you.. I felt the same about how you offered only negative feedback to others. It formed an obvious pattern. I have empathy for dogs. Please don't kick them either. I wish I had felt responding to this privately

would have been fitting, but you went after others. Feedback, based on negatively or positively impacting FACTS would be welcome. But when it's virtually all negative and based on speculative opinion, it doesn't feel good. Stop attacking and I'll stop defending. Peace. John