Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Dec 1998 16:30:22 -0700
From:         Scott Paddock <spaddock@DEN.WANTWEB.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon vs. Eurovan
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Garth, Not being a mechanicly minded fella, I can only tell you about driving and financial considerations so here goes. I have an '87 Wolfsburg and a '93 EV GL both of which I enjoy. Pro/Con thoughts: Vanagon pro- with manual tranny, the ratios seem to make more sense. EV pro- the range of motion on the shifter is more convienient. Vanagon pro- mileage is about 20-24mpg in most cases (EV is 15ish). EV pro- sits higher and has better instrument/control design. EV pro- two air conditioners- front/rear. Vanagon pro- better inside useable space in terms of folding or removable chairs. Vanagon pro- better sliding door with handle latch- the EV door sticks back with pressure that is independant of the handle trigger. EV pro- more comfortable seats. EV pro- goes faster. As far as style and creature comforts go, I think the EV wins this one. I love my Vanagon, but I'd love it more if it had more thoughtfully designed storage spaces inside. In the Wolfsburg, the bottom of the back bench seat lifts to allow some storage, but there is a heater sucking up a lot of that space. Short of that and the glove box, that's all you get. (I don't count the areas beneath the front seat as they are used for battery, jack, etc.) I just took my Vanagon from Denver to Las Vegas and back and it was fine, but if I had to do it over, I think for speed comfort I'd take the EV. In either instance I think it wise to be mechanicaly familiar with whichever he decides on, or at the least be in the good graces of a knowledgable and trustworthy mechanic. Regardless, I think your friend will be happy.;

Scott Paddock '87 Weekender "Rolf" '93 EV GL unnamed