Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:46:21 +0100
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Winkler 4-wheel disc brakes
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Yea, you're all right, Germany is a desert in service aspects. I just read an article on the ADAC (German Automobilist Association) about that. VW, Mercedes, BMW, and Ford are reducing their garage contract partners to one third. I really hate that.

But anyway, Winkler offers a four disk brake system which is originally designed by Oettinger, and both selling it on same price. I may scan pictures and translate, but someone should host it for some time on a web server.

The bad thing is, that this brake system seems not to be deliverable. A VAG employee, who swaped his T3 engine into an Audi 2.8 liter V6, needed an enhanced brake system to get the TUV approval, and he decided for the Oettinger 4 brake system. But after several month, he tried other suppliers too, he gave up because no one was able to send the ordered parts.

At least he upgraded his front disk brake to Audi RS2, which is similar to Porsche, but cheaper to get. He machined the front hub and mounted the RS2 disks on it. He designed a special adapter plate for the Audi calipers and mounted all together. The rims had to be changed to 16" (or 17", can remember) diameter.

Another idea is to upgrade to the SA vented disk brakes. This is presently discussed at the German T3 forum. You will need the vented disks from SA, the Hub from SA (only for 2WD), and the calipers from the Syncro. The rims have to be upgraded to 15". The EV rims could be mounted when using some spacers.

Another fellow likes to use the EV brake system. But as he is right working on an engine swap, he starts on this spring next year.

Up to now I haven't found a solution to upgrade the rear brake system to disks. I will try the Audi 5000, but as it too cold right now, this project will be continued next summer.

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi