Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:13:57 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bike rack over luggage rack
Comments: To: David Bogle <bogle@BWAY.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I met someone who put a single Tule rack across the top of the rear > door (Yakima would work too) and uses the fork attachment to hang the > bike with the rear tire resting on the bumper. He has used this > system for about a year with no problems and can open the rear door > with two bikes on it (his Westy did not have a rear wiper though which > makes the door much heavier). He had two bars--the shorter one for > one for two or three bikes and a longer one that would fit up to five > bikes. This system makes a lot of sense because you can still use > your luggage rack, not have to worry about the pop-top coming > clearance, and only purchase half the rack system.

I've also seen the fork mounts with screw holes just bolted to the top part of the rear hatch. Just remember, if the fork mount is not tightened properly or loosens up, you have a dead bike. I don't think the manufacturers intended fork mounts to be used to attach a bike in the vertical position. (you may want to think about a safety strap of some type.) Don't think I like this solution for my expensive bike on my bouncing syncro. :) Bill 90 Westy Syncro Lake Tahoe

---------- > From: David Bogle <bogle@BWAY.NET> > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Bike rack over luggage rack > Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 3:45 PM > > > Phillip Bouton wrote: > > > > For some reason I can't post to the list (checked the address).... > > Dear Phillip, > > I had the same problem trying to send this message, as it was returned > twice. I'll send this idea to the list, however I have one issue to > raise. If the rear, lower bike wheels are resting on the bumper, then > they would fall to the lower edge of the hatch when it is raised with > the bikes on. That may not be such a problem. I like this idea, > though. There should be some way to lash the wheel to the bumper to > prevent movement. Also, how do we carry skis on this rig? > -- > Regards, > David Bogle > > > > > I met someone who put a single Tule rack across the top of the rear > > door (Yakima would work too) and uses the fork attachment to hang the > > bike with the rear tire resting on the bumper. He has used this > > system for about a year with no problems and can open the rear door > > with two bikes on it (his Westy did not have a rear wiper though which > > makes the door much heavier). He had two bars--the shorter one for > > one for two or three bikes and a longer one that would fit up to five > > bikes. This system makes a lot of sense because you can still use > > your luggage rack, not have to worry about the pop-top coming > > clearance, and only purchase half the rack system. > > > > ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>J > > Phillip > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: David Bogle [mailto:bogle@BWAY.NET] > > Sent: Friday, December 04, 1998 2:31 PM > > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Bike rack over luggage rack > > > > Davidson wrote: > > > > > > Yes, I lust over the Paulchen Bike Racks.... But including tax and > > > > > shipping > > > > I figure it will cost $350 U.S. or more!!! That's a lot of money > > for a > > > bike > > > > I added up the Yakima rack parts prices for two bikes and ski holder > > to > > be > > mounted on the rear hatch like some listmembers have done and it comes > > > > to > > $434.00. Ouch! That's with the $50/bike attachment (9mm std bike > > mount) > > not > > the Steelheads which are $82.50 each. Am I doing something wrong, I > > hope? > > > > (4) Qtowers #0105 $95 > > (1) Pair round bars #0410 33 > > (6) Lock cores 42 > > (4) Qclips 37 (I'm not sure what > > > > these do but they were recommended by john silverman > > <jsilver@MAIL.AROS.NET>) > > (2) 9mm std bike mounts 100 > > (2) Wheel forks 42 > > (1) Button Down 6 Ski caddy 85 > > TOTAL $434 > > > > They also have a nice Tandem carrier for only $285. All prices are > > from > > bikeusa.com webcatalog. > > > > I think the Paulchen may be less or equivalent even with ski > > accessories. I'm > > still waiting for a quote from listmember Steve Lashley who can import > > > > the > > Paulchen and Fiamma brands. Are you still there Steve? Let's get > > some > > economies of scale going with a big order, folks. > > -- > > Regards, > > David Bogle > > Brooklyn > > '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia > > '72 Campmobile 2.0L (For Sale: http://www.bway.net/~bogle )