Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:16:53 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Thule Artificial Rain Gutters
Comments: To: Vanagon List Address <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

---------- > From: Davidson <wdavidson@jps.net> > To: Pfunky@AOL.COM; vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Thule Artificial Rain Gutters > Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 4:02 PM > > Patrick, > Many Volks have installed the "fake rain gutters" on their fiberglass pop > tops. You can search the archives for details. I'm sure I don't remember > all. Some of the postings are oriented to transporting bikes, some kayaks, > some canoes, some luggage racks, etc. A lot depends on what you want to > carry. > The down sides as I remember them off the top of my head are: > 1. Possible messing up of the rubber seal. > 2. Possible air lift on the front latch, messing up the latch and/or the > top popping up on the highway. > 3. Not being able to pop the top due to weight unless you unload the rack. > I don't think I've read anything suggesting the fiberglass fails where it > is drilled. > > The thing that some of the Volks have noticed and have commented on today > is that the Yakima (I believe) bike rack in the posted photo address today > is mounted to the real rain gutters next to the luggage rack. And although > the bikes extend behind the luggage rack, the bikes attachments and bikes > are mounted off to the side of the van such that the top can be popped > without unloading the bikes. It looks a little strange and it's a reach for > a short guy to get the bikes up there, but it looks like it works. > Bill > 90 Westy Syncro > Lake Tahoe > > ---------- > > From: Patrick Foltz <Pfunky@AOL.COM> > > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Thule Artificial Rain Gutters > > Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 1:24 PM > > > > The Thule site mentions the fake gutters being mounted on the fibreglas > top > > (fornt portion). Has anyone done this? Results? I have a Thule ski > > carrier/bike carrier I found at a flea market--don't ask how much...you'd > > cry--and I would love to install it on my Westfalia > > > > Patrick