Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:05:05 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C for diesel
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Chris smilingly asks "hmmmman diesel vanagon w/ a/c........how Slooooooow can you go??? :<)"

I ran the numbers on that a couple years ago. If you assume: 1.5 liter 48 hp. diesel Westy top speed = 62 mph 1.6 liter 52 hp. diesel Westy top speed = 65 mph Which appears to be typical, then adding the AC load, I project their top speeds to be 1.5 liter 48 hp. diesel Westy with AC top speed = 58 mph 1.6 liter 52 hp. diesel Westy with AC top speed = 61 mph

When it's 101 degrees F. and you're leaving Orlando for Palm Beach, which suffering would you elect to endure? Suffer the heat, or kick on the air and suffer a 4 mph speed loss?.

But as I recall the official VW rationale for not installing AC in diesel Vanagons and Westys was the stock cooling system's marginal heat rejection capability. At full throttle it won't affect that diesel whether the last marginal horsepower goes toward developing faster vehicle speed or toward compressing AC refrigerant. But that diesel surely might be affected by putting an AC condenser in front of its radiator. That would both preheat and restrict air flow to the radiator. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think it may need some other system alterations to dump the engine's heat.

Has anyone cut into the rear side panels to place a long thin radiator in the air flow that could pass through those high side louvers behind the Westy/Vanagon rear windows? Does anyone know of a heater core radiator sized so it would fit in there with the air flow passages oriented correctly?

I've read about repowered Vanagons with additional radiator capacity mounted beneath the floor. But exposing a radiator to thrown road stones and other road hazards is a though that hits my reject button. Comments? John