Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:55:59 -0800
From:         Katherine Lee <katherine@DNAMEDIA.COM>
Subject:      Thanks for engine/tire advice; upcoming trip planned
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

After a few months of crazy work schedules, I'm happy to report that I'm now back on the VANAGON list.

I first want to thank everyone who responded to my earlier posts (around May or June) about the oil-burning problem (my 89 Westfalia, around 140,000 KM, was going through about 1/2 L of 20W50 per tank of gas, oil changes didn't clear it up, compression checks were fine, and I was getting a bit flipped out). It turns out that I did indeed have to get the piston rings done (consistently fouled spark plug in cylinder #3 pointed to this conclusion) ... and I took Kelly's very wise advice to go to German Motor Car in Port Moody, and now the van runs just beautifully. Fortunately, the catalytic converter managed to escape the harmful effects of the burning oil, so my repair was limited to the piston ring work (all 4) and a piece of rusted out exhaust pipe. German Motor Car's estimate was about 2/3 of the one I received from a VW dealer's shop, BTW.

On another subject, one tire dealer who prefers Continentals on his Vanagon, says Michelin LTX M/S tires will ride like bricks. I ignored his comment and bought them anyway(!) in preparation for an upcoming trip. My accumulated research (plus a bit of experience with a car I once had) leads me to believe the Michelins will last longer than most tires, and I realize this of course depends on one's driving habits. So, we will see ...

Third subject: our holiday itinerary has yet to be finalized, but my significant other and I are thinking about a trip fairly soon (December-time, starting around the 11th or so), down the west side of the US (from Vancouver, BC to California). I think I may have gathered some odds and ends of people's stories about good places to drive, camp, hike, and so forth, but I would appreciate any tips and pointers to publications, etc., nonetheless. For instance, I am told that there is no real coastal driving in CA, and that one should head inland to the desert. Would anyone risk going into a place like Yosemite at this time of year (I have a 2WD)?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips,

Katherine Lee