Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 1998 17:18:48 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Fw: WHEW! Saved from possible fire!! ($2.98 for Gas Hose and
              Clamps)
Comments: To: Vanagon List Address <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

---------- > From: Davidson <wdavidson@jps.net> > To: Debi Tippets <debi@YOSEMITE.NET>; vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: WHEW! Saved from possible fire!! ($2.98 for Gas Hose and Clamps) > Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 4:41 PM > > Debi > I was driving in Santa Rosa yesterday. I came up to an intersection with a > traffic jam. It was caused by a fire truck and a bunch of firemen spraying > water on a vehicle fire in the middle of the intersection. It was a Westy. > Maybe an '85 or so. My heart sank when I drove by and saw all the water > flooding the engine and the inside cabinets and carpets and mattress. The > water was flowing and the smoke was pouring out of that poor Westy. There > was soot everywhere. It was a total disaster. I bet it was those dreaded > fuel hoses. I wondered how long it took the fire department to get there. > An eternity I'm sure. I felt so sorry for the owner who probably had no > idea that the hoses should be checked/replaced. I love this 'list'. > > After reading a few of the cautionary fire postings a couple of months ago > I adopted this strategy: > 1. Check the fuel hoses regularly and replace at the slightest sign of age. > Maybe replace at 8 years no matter how good they look. > 2. Stop and shut off the engine I if smell gas. > 3. I have 2- 2 1/2 LB fire extinguishers... a BC behind the driver's seat > (if figure this would be the one I would get to first in an engine fire... > and a ABC by the slider door (if the cabinets, carpet, etc caughts fire an > ABC would be needed and it can be used on the engine too if the BC doesn't > do the trick.) > 4. Cut the spring on the license plate door so that it doesn't spring up on > its own. I think this would be helpful in a fire emergency. I don't want > the hot metal door springing up to burn my hand and make the job of > spraying the extinguisher up into the engine compartment more difficult. > 5. I want to find a heat sensor to install in the engine compartment that > will give a loud audio alarm in the event of fire. I plan to check the > Marine stores. (anyone know of a heat sensor that will work and where to > get it?) > I think this strategy is a relatively cheap way to, firstly, limit the > possibility of a fuel fire, and secondly, to maximize the quickness and > effectiveness of my response should the unthinkable become reality. > > Bill > 90 Westy Syncro > Lake Tahoe > > ---------- > From: Debi Tippets <debi@YOSEMITE.NET> > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: WHEW! Saved from possible fire!! ($2.98 for Gas Hose and Clamps) > Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 3:27 PM > > MtnGal here... > > PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK YOUR HOSES!!! > > When I realized how much I'm falling in love with my 7 Passenger Vanagon, > AND the impact it would have on our family to go back to the car for the > only form of transportation I couldn't avoid it any longer... > > You never know what you'll find!! It scared the $ # ! % out of me when I > found a leak that was barely noticeable, but left a trail of gas (cost me > $2.98 and 1/2 hour to fix). > > Think about it. It's well worth the time and > effort! > > Besides, I don't know which one of my kids I could look in the face and > say: > "I didn't take the time because....." > > I hope this helps at least 1 van to a longer happier road life..... ;) > > Debi Tippets > 84 VW-Vanagon GL BRONZE >