Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Dec 1998 10:51:26 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: CatPlat Gas Soource & Positioning
Comments: To: Steve <sxs@concentric.net>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Just a thought here: I believe if you read the label on those 1 lb propane containers you will find that they say not to be used indoors. I think this is because they have a pressure relief valve in them that can, under the wrong conditions, spew propane into your van. That's why houses have their propane tanks outside. That's why your Vanagon propane tank is outside the van. I think. I'm no expert, but I think this is worth checking out. Good Luck, Bill 90 Westy Syncro Lake Tahoe

---------- > From: Steve <sxs@concentric.net> > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: CatPlat Gas Soource & Positioning > Date: Sunday, December 06, 1998 10:27 AM > > Robyn, for a gas supply on my portable set up, i first just > attached a standard regulator and coupling that let me use > those small 1lb. propane containers they sell everywhere for > portable stoves, lamps, etc. These last 8 hours of > continuous operation each in the smaller cat plat and worked > for me fine for several years. The regulator/hose/coupling > cost me $5.00 ...they sell them at home depot for a little > more. > > Last month, i hooked up direct access to the westy gas > supply. A lot more complicated. I put a "T" in under the > sink and then added on a shut-off vaulve and then added a > special nipple for hooking up a flexible special rubber gas > hose which i ran out from the cabinet through the hole in > the cabinet by the driver's seatbelt, and there i attached > another one of those hose nipples so i could attach a flared > fitting that would attach to the heater. I also bought a > plug to insert in the fitting for when i am not using the > heater/hose. I have to screw the gas line together > everytime i set up the heater, and tighten the connection > with wrenches....and remember to turn the shut-off valve off > when un-hooking it They do make "snap" connectors that will > allow me to just snap the hose in, but i could not find them > at the time. > > If you have never before run gas line, it might be worth > paying an rv shop to do this part for you. It should not > cost too much. The hard part here is getting all the > parts. You need to use forged flare nuts on gas > applications, not the regular water type. The hose is > special stuff, too. (But hose is only supposed to be used > in outdoor applications.) > > The other alternative is to use the hose/regulator set up > that allows you to use those small 1lb tanks...or a separate > larger tank. This is much easier, quicker and cheaper. The > only difference is that you have to carry gas, but those > tanks are small and cheap and easy to find. No matter which > system you use, you are going to have to hook the heater up > to some gas source each time you set the heater up if you > use it as a portable like mine. You have to be careful to > not let the cannisters tip over while in use. I just put > mine in the step well by the driver's door....perfect place. > > one last word....try setting the forward table up so it is > right over the driver's seat...and then put the heater way > back against the steering wheel. This position is very > effective....the heater radiates haet all the way back to > the back of the bus from here...you can feel it when lying > on the lower bunk. These heaters need to have unobstructed > paths to the main cabin/occupants as they provide radiant > heat. If it's too low or obstructed by objects the > performance will be diminished. Just a FYI. Experiment > with different positions! > steve