Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:20:01 +0000
From:         Racer X <akimmons@PDQ.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87GL rebuild update (oil pressure)
Comments: To: Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.com

Hey Joshua- Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in the process now of finding out if the bearings that I bought from Bus Depot were the wrong size. First I ordered the standards and then found out that my crank needed to be ground. They did a "first grind", taking off .010". I then called Bus Depot and ordered some new bearings, supposedly for that new size, but when they arrived, they were clearly too thick. So...foolishly, I put in the standards, thinking they were right (and they did 'seem' to fit pretty tight). I'm new to this bearing stuff as this is the first engine I've rebuilt. This is a great learning experience! I must say that I'm getting pretty good at pulling my engine! Anyway, I wrote Ron an email yesterday to ask him to second check the numbers on the bearings and see if I could exchange them for the right size. Haven't heard back from him yet...

Keepin' my fingers crossed at this point.

Joshua Van Tol wrote: > > >Hey folks...Hope this has been a Happy Thanksgiving for all of you. > >Now...on to the new problem! > > > >Well, I've pretty much done all I can and the same problem is > >resurfacing in my van... > > > >Rebuilt, new bearings, rings, gaskets, oil pump, oil pickup tube (as > >well as other things) I've got a new VW filter, GTX 20w50 oil, VDO oil > >pressure gauge. > > > >Motor cranks up fine, idles fine, initial oil pressure is fine. Then, > >after running for about 15 minutes the oil pressure starts to drop. When > >it reaches 9 bar, the idiot light comes on. I've got both oil pressure > >senders new... Then the engine stalls, or if you step on the gas, it > >stalls...The outside temperature of the block is about 120º when this happens. > > > >What up? I don't have a clue. It was doing this same thing before and I > >thought it was the bearings. I had no oil pressure problems before I > >started this job as it started out to be just a head gasket rebuild. > >After I got into it I chose to redo the whole thing. > > My guess: Either you have the wrong size bearings (could be an align bored > case, for example) or your crank was machined wrong, or you could have left > out a bearing shell, or the oil pump could be worn out. What it comes down > to is you are going to have to take that engine apart, and find out what's > out of tolerance. > > Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@lear.csp.ee.memphis.edu