Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:42:09 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Offering receiver mount 20" by 60" 500# rated steel platform
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

All this talk about roof top carriers reminded me of something I have that won't allow me to carry my Jon boat and 2 HP Honda outboard, which is the second common exterior load other than bicycles that I want to be able to take on trips. If you want a quiet gas outboard, I recommend that little Honda. I have 2, which is now one too many. But I digress.

This unopened box, received as a birthday present, contains one all steel 20 inch by 60 inch platform, rated to carry up to 500 pounds. It says, "Like a trailer without wheels." So every the toll booth can't collect for one more axle, which in Florida can be many times per day. It attaches to any vehicle equipped with a standard 2 inch square receiver hitch. So you can lock it in place with a padlock, or remove it instantly for storage, standing upright against your garage wall when you don't want it attached. When it is attached, the Vanagon rear hatch can open easily unless it is loaded with something that stands in the way.

The photos on the outside of the box show it to be painted black. They also show other views of it with optional parts attached. One is a set of side rails that appear to stand up about 8 to 10 inches. Another option is a bicycle rack. I'm sure a creative person could attach a fourth, but it only shows three wheel supports. Another option is an extension rear light kit. But I think the Vanagon's rear lights are so far apart that the light kit wouldn't be needed.

I expect it would be pretty important to avoid loading most of 500 pounds at either extreme end of the five foot length, even when loading. So if you wanted to take along your Harley Sportster (480 pounds) or similar motorcycle, then you should use a vertical support at the end where you support the top of your ramp board. If a 5 foot ramp would do, it could be secured onto the platform while in transit. Maybe it could even be used as a rear vertical barrier with a wide reflective safety warning stripe facing the back for improving night-time visibility. Even after the platform is loaded, balancing the load, side to side, would, in my opinion, be prudent.

The box has never been opened. It can be shipped by UPS, but it is not light. This container is about 30 inches long, 20 wide and under 6 inches thick. Of course the documentation, and optional parts ordering forms are inside.

Getting a receiver hitch installed may be expensive or not, depending on if you encounter one used that can be attached to your Vanagon or Westy. But this would definitely be a class act way to carry exterior bulk up to 500 pounds, without making the already low .44 Vanagon coefficient of wind drag more like .55 from bikes fighting the wind every mile you drive.

If someone wants to make a fair offer to me for it, let me know by private e-mail so we don't waste the time of other List members. John LvLearn@mci2000.com