Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:25:15 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bob Hoover Sermons CD-ROM is SHIPPING!
Comments: To: Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Joshua Van Tol wrote:

> >> If you don't know, the Sermons of Bob Hoover was surely the most > >> popular VW resource on the net until it was pulled down earlier > >> this year. Back when I had the ability to log the Sermons web > >> page, people were requesting about 38,000 sermons per week. It > >> was an incredible resource--and still is. > > > >... that is, if you own an air-cooled bus. Bob Hoover's opinion was that > >Vanagons were dinosaurs, doomed to go extinct while air-cooled busses > >survived forever. > > > >Save your money and buy a manual written by someone who likes our > >water-cooled vans. > > > >Just my humble opinion. > >Coyote > > > > Bob's advice, while not specific to the vanagon is generally quite > applicable to the vanagon. I think Coyote is being a bit harsh here. Seems > he and Bob had a falling out not so long ago over whether public postings > were the property of the list administrator. Bob held that they weren't, > and the whole thing got ugly.

Had to step in here, I did not follow the flame wars w/Hoover earlier this year, I flushed all that mess, but I know one thing for sure, Hoover's sermons for aircooled type II's and earlier will be of -very little- practical use to a watercooled Vanagon maintainer: period! They are very different cars, with manifold, (to risk Hoover's derision), -improvements- over the TII'ss and I's. And with these improvements came increased complexity in some instances: this is Hoovers rub against the Vanagon. Therefore, IMHO, purchase the Bentley, monitor the List here and post up your tough problems: This is a much better solution that Hoover's Sermons. For general auto maintenance info, merely refer to the Vanagon owners manual. BTW: An equivalent of Muirs book for the Vanagon would be great!!

-- ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> Shalom 87 GL Mark Magee 91 Westy Kemah TX USA 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport John 14:6