Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:31:13 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Fw:      replacement Carpet and door panels?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: uthguy@jps.net

Stephen Steele wrote on 12-7 at 3:22 AM:

> I am specifically looking for replacement carpets and the interior sliding door panel that has popped a clip and always comes off when somebody slams the door too hard.

The easiest way to secure the sliding door panel is to use a few screws with flat washers. Just drill a pilot hole through the panel and the metal framing behind, and tighten the screw and washer.

Even if you still have all the original clips, this is a fine preventative measure to guard against the back of the panel loosening and getting caught while the door is opening. The cost of replacement panels (even clean used ones) is quite dear, so care here saves big $.

Replacement carpets can be obtained from any carpet remnant store. If you don't require genuine VW authorized carpet, just look around and find one that is close to the original, or go crazy and get a nice floral design or a pink shag. It is easy to trim to fit by using a razor blade type knife. You can just place the carpet in, using friction to hold it in place, or if you know you won't ever remove it (hah, fat chance!) , it can be secured to the pad with glue or similar adhesive (see previous posts on this topic today). Trimming is absolutely simple for the flat floor areas, but even the wheel wells, etc. are not too hard if you use the old carpet as a guide.