Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:54:20 -0600
From:         Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: finding a new engine?
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>, vanagon@vanagon.com

>I would go for a tuned type 4 engine. I read only today about a Beetle in >a german mag (VW Speed), this type 4 was a 2,9 with 200 hp and 290 Nms. >This bug did a quartermile in 13,793 secs. You can get plenty of power for >the same cost as replacing your engine with another make.

Except that you'll get very low reliability with such an engine. And you'll spend plenty. I'd guess you could spend $5K building an engine like you describe.

Just a guesstimate, but I'd say it would likely break down about like:

P&C's of that size approx $1000 US Counterweighted stroker crank $1200 or more. There are cheaper ones, but they are welded stock cranks, and are known to break. Heads, appropriately modified $500 each. Custom rods $150 each? Maybe $600 total. Standard rebuild stuff (bearings, gaskets, motor mounts, etc) $300 Large bore exhaust system (no more heater) $500? Cam, lifters, rocker arms, push rods $600 Induction system (carbs, poor starting, bad milage) $600 up.

The total of the above parts approaches $5k, and isn't complete. Granted you could probably get some of this stuff for less, although it can be difficult to find quality high performance vw parts.

I'd much rather put a 3.0 liter Nissan V6 Turbo in, it can be rebuilt for about $1500 including a turbo rebuild, has gobs of low end torque, and is nearly bulletproof. Never heard of a nissan v6 head cracking, or dropping a seat, but it happens all the time on the type IV vw.

My potential engine conversion is to use a nissan VG-30ET engine from a late 80's vintage nissan 300zx, and a porsche 915 (goes in a 911) transmission. The VG-30ET requires no intercooler, although an air to water unit can be fitted for increased power. It makes in the neighborhood of 220 hp, and is rock solid reliable, fuel efficient, and quiet. Doing this would necessitate building a box over the engine compartment lid, to gain about 4" of clearance.

Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@lear.csp.ee.memphis.edu