Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:30:49 +0100
From:         "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Re: Differential Lock curiosity
Comments: To: Joe Friedrichs <joefried@JAVANET.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi Joe, hi everybody,

On Tue, 1998-12- 1 10:40:57 -0500, Joe Friedrichs wrote:

> November 1st I purchased a Vanagon Syncro and love it. My question is > with the differential lock. In its normal unlocked position the "switch" > is pulled out. When pushed in the differential lock is engaged, (this is > obvious due to the feel of the vehicle when driven and the green light > which comes on). My questions are: Is the switch supposed to be engaged > when pulled out?, thus making my switch work in reverse.

The normal positions for the switch are (according to all the owner's manuals I've seen, all my books and all my personal experience :-)

Pushed in, diff lock NOT engaged, green light off. Normal position for normal driving.

Pulled out, diff lock engaged or about to engage, green light turning on as soon as the diff lock really engages. On paved roads (or on other surfaces with solid traction) only to be used when driving straight.

If your switch works vice versa you basically have three options:

First option: leave everything as is and live with this "inverted" behaviour. But beware of letting another syncronaut drive your van without thoroughly explaining your car's special setup.

Second option: dismount the panel housing the switch and interchange two of the three hoses connecting to the switch. This is from memory and could be wrong, but I think it's the first and third vacuum hose leading to the switch you'll have to interchange. The center hose is the "input line" (if there is such a thing as a "vacuum input"), the outer hoses are the "output lines" that go to the diff lock. Removing the panel is a bit of a pain, though not really difficult. You'll have to unscrew the knob of the switch, but beware, you'll have to fix the stub the knob is screwed on with pliers, else it will happily turn with the knob. Then you'll have to remove the screw that attaches the switch to the panel. There are a few screws that hold the panel in place, some a bit hidden, which have to be removed, too.

Third option: Get under your van where the gearbox is. At the upper right side of the gearbox (when looking to the van's front) there is a little box attached to the gearbox, approximately 4" long, 2" wide and 2" high (again from memory, and I'm not much trained in using inches :-) with two vacuum hoses connected to it. That's the device which operates the diff lock. Just interchange the two hoses there.

Clearly, I'd opt for this last method.

> ... > Also there are 3 green lights but only one (the > rear) comes on. Are the other two for syncros with other options such > as: Front differential lock or disengaging rear wheels?

Exactly. The left green light together with the (not existing in your van) left switch is for the front diff lock, which, to my knowledge, was never officially exported to the US market. And the center green light together with a center switch was only used in very early versions of 4WD Vanagons (then not yet called "Syncros") which had a mechanically lockable (bowden cable) mechanical central differential where real Syncros have the viscious coupling.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely Rainer

'89 Caravelle Syncro 16"

---------------------------------------------------------------------- !!!!!! Neue Telefonnummern beachten !!!!!! Mind new phone numbers !!!!!! ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-27811,-27031 | | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | | D-91058 Erlangen | | | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | ----------------------------------------------------------------------