Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 08:03:49 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: 3 Questions
          <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

** Reply to message from Todd Last <rubatoguy@worldnet.att.net> on Mon, 07 Dec 1998 23:26:50 -0800

> There may be something to this. I've been plagued by a sticking speedo for > some time now. But It has been working just fine since I had my clutch > replaced. Could it have just been a bad connection on the transmission > ground strap? (The tranny was removed to install the new clutch) > > A coincidence? You decide.

Hi Todd -- smells like coincidence to me. Once the speedo spring is cooked and loses its temper, it ain't coming back. Also, if it had to carry any serious system loads it would go up in a puff of smoke and your speedo would stay pinned at the top permanently. Looks to me as though the major candidate for the speedo problem would be the main panel ground which goes from pins 4 and 4 of the panel (on the 83 and 84) to a cluster behind the dash. All the other panel grounds seem to be signal grounds. This one carries the load for the instrument lights and gauges, which seems about right to cook the spring without making it actually light up.

Maybe they dropped your beast on its head? Look for spider cracks in the windshield <g>

david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP9, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3