Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 08:44:48 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Custom Bumpers and Spoilers
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com, type2@type2.com

One item that I think may have gotten lost in the shuffle when I announced the European parts I brought in were the bumpers and spoilers. I have full dress-up kits for Vanagons (all years), plus Vanagon front spoilers and '68-72 rear bumpers.

The complete bumper/skirt kits look very similar to the plastic bumper cover and skirt kits that are stock on '87-up Wolfsburg Editions and '89-up GL's. People have called me before asking where they could get the late model style bumpers, but until now they were over $2000 a set so it wasn't economically feasible. Now you can upgrade to this look for more like $500, which is hardly more than the cost of a pair of regular metal bumpers. You can see this kit at http://www.busdepot.com/spoiler.htm .

The bumpers themselves are very similar to the original VW ones. Not identical, but very similar. They are plastic like the factory ones, and like the factory ones they are really more "bumper cover" than "bumper" in that they are not designed to withstand a collision without cosmetic damage. Then again, neither do the stock bumpers, so you're not really downgrading there. The skirts that go on the front doors are also similar, although mounting hardware is not included so you'll have to make your own. The skirts that go along each side of the van, below the rocker panels, are a bit more rudimentary than the molded plastic ones that VW used, however. They are only a few inches tall, made of metal, and simply screw into the bottom of the rocker panel, extending below it rather than partially covering it like the Wolfsburg one does. Everything is in black and is also paintable. This whole package is $499.95 plus shipping. It is custom made for the Vanagon and no one else has them. It's a really nice package for the price.

Also, I brought in six sets of OEM Volkswagen front spoilers for $139 a set. These are the same spoilers that come with the late model Vanagons, and mount underneath the front bumper. You can add them to ANY VANAGON, even one with the stock chrome bumpers, to dress it up. It also looks great with the above bumper kit. They are also on the van pictured at http://www.busdepot.com/spoiler.htm .

Lastly, I got three 1968-71 rear bumpers. These have been unavailable for many, many years. These bumpers are the same as the original, except that they have brackets attached to the inside of them which do not fit US busses. In the US these bumpers just bolt on with holes right through the bumper. So you would have to get rid of the brackets and drill holes through the bumper for the mounting bolts. Still, this is a minor mod to make considering that until now, restoring a used bumper was your only option.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com