Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:35:28 -0800
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Seikel Syncro Shocks & Surco Safari Racks
Comments: To: vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Steve wrote:

> Has anyone followed up on Derek's post some time back about > the shocks Peter Seikel offers for syncros. As i recall, > there were 3 different rates re damping. I also recall > mention of some boges Peter has....are these the same thing > ...Derek? Anyway, i would be very interested in hearing > from anyone who has actually tried the "M" or "N" or the > boges...if they're something different. > > I bought new stock front shocks less than a year ago and > after a recent somewhat rough trip into the desert, they are > shot. I don't know if it was the washboard (90+ miles of > it) or the slow-speed deep rolling dune-like terrain (12 > miles) that had the van using nearly every inch of > suspension like a ship traversing waves. I did bottom out > once, but not bad. I didn't really abuse the van, although > it was hard use at times....some rocky terrain. The point > is the stock shocks are not up to the off-road use...they > are the part(s) that failed, nothing else did. Perhaps it's > time to start calling the shops that build shocks for > off-road racing bikes and see what they might be willing to > do as far as fabricating a set of bilsteins to fit a syncro.

<snip>

I have seen just a quick glimpse in the parts catalogue at my local dealer, shocks for "cars equipped for poor road conditions", I figure that these shocks are some HD VW stuff, I can only get the part number, they aren't too helpful with any info, as they don't have too much of such. BTW, you mentioned "bottoming out" I do that every day, we have some speed bumps down the road from my house, I go too fast over these every time, actually pretty stupid of me, but I cant seem to get myself to slow down..... maybe I wanna jump?.....I think not! (BTDT)

PerL 88 Syncro