Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:44:37 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: 5-cylinder swap update (kits are ready!)
Comments: To: Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 15:36 09/12/98 -0800, Nathaniel Merrill wrote: >Ok, now we have thoughts on the Audi 5 (thanks Chris). Who out there has some quality info (and the time) to tell us about the GTI engine which the Eurospec swap uses?

I can hazard a good educated guess on this one. The Eurospec swap uses a new 2.0L "ABA" block which is 16.5mm taller than the other I4s that VW and Audi used in the past. The ABA is the same block that is used in the 93 thru 98 Golf and Jetta. The Golf IV / Jetta IV / Beetle use a 2.0L block that is the "conventional" height and a few ft/lb less torque. The head that is used on the Eurospec swap is the same head as is found on the 88 thru 92 Jetta / Golf. I am assuming that the ECU is the same Digifant-II system as the 88 to 92 setup. The tall block is a nice and torquey motor (more torque than the Audi 80 2.0L or Beetle 2.0L) due to the longer connecting rods. It is also less prone to knock too. The statement that it is "factory" is not true as VW never made a Digifant based 2.0L. The head used doesn't flow as well or stays as cool as the Motronic (Motronic is superior IMHO) based cross flow head that it was intended to work with. I am assuming that you would have to raise the rear deck even more if you used the cross flow head with the original manifold perhaps this is one reason why they didn't go with the cross flow head. My personal concern with the Eurospec setup is IF they are using a 1.8L digifant ROM then you will not be getting the 115hp that they are talking about as the Digifant ECU will think the engine is getting too much air. Digifant systems don't take cams as nicely as CIS or Motronic. If they optimised it (the ROM) for the 2.0L then it should be a great setup. My personal experiences with this 2.0L tall block is a CIS based setup in my Rabbit Pickup that delivers a conservative 140hp. It is a PITA when installing in a non-A3 VW (Pre 93) because it is 16.5mm taller. The exhaust downpipe has to be modified so it won't hit the floor, and the throttle body hit the rain try in Rabbits. I chose a 2.0L from an Audi 80 for my Double Cab because it is "standard" height. With a Vanagon every little helps so you do not have to raise the deck height as much. They are also much cheaper too! Anyhow, the 2.0L with a decent 268 deg cam shaft and correct fuel pressure values should put out a decent 130 to 135hp with no noticable loss of torque. If you install a wild 276 cam like I did in my 1900kg Rabbit PU then below 4000 RPM is a little wimpy.

If anyone wants more details on the 2.0L please drop me a p-mail!

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --