Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:26:04 -0800
From:         Wolfgang Carolsfeld <wolfgang@ISLAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Viscous Coupling test : Excessively stiff  VC's - Who has/had
              one ?
Comments: To: vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I read Rainer's lengthy post on this with great interest, since I felt last June that my VC was 'too stiff' therby not allowing a certain amount of differential action during normal cornering etc. I believe that the differential tire pressure suggested by VW for our vans has an effect on its safe handling characteristics, something about the amount of understeer in extreme cornering etc.

Re: the tire pressure - it has a definite effect on its loaded driving radius. In simple geometry consider the radius of a severly underinflated tire under load at the point directly down from the center of the axle. The tire as it turns will continually deform on the bottom to create the same size of footprint (variable determined by the current pressure). The radius from the center of the axle to the ground contact point will basically stay the same, for a specific inflation pressure and tire, on a smooth surface, as the tire turns. In an extreme case (tire nearly flat) this radius could be several centimeters less than that of a properly inflated tire. The simple formula for circumference using [ 2 * r * Pi = C ] gives the distance travelled by the tire on the ground, which we know in the real world is different from the unloaded tire circumference. Said another way : these distances (circumference) will vary directly with inflation pressure and the resulting variation in height under the wheel centers.

This brings us back to the importance of a properly working VC. If you are supposed to have slightly different front to rear tire pressures for handling characteristics or whatever, there will be a slight differential in rotation rate between front and rear axles. The properly functioning Viscous Coupling, I think, doesn't lock until there is some 4 - 6 % difference in rotation between axles, which is no doubt part of the engineering design, since I'm sure VC's could be built to lock at a variety of differntial turn rates (specific to the geometry of each design). So we realize once again that its important to have equal tires, and use correct tire pressures.

I agree with Rainer, that I think that a ' stiff' VC, one that locks up at a rotational differential significantly less than the design, due to whatever failure (debri in the viscous fluid making it even thicker, or ...) is too harsh on the rest of the drive train, and could lead to premature wear on other parts. I suspect though that a VC gradually stiffening over time, is hard to detect, and late owners like myself that acquire their first Syncro with 200,000 km on the clock, may have no VC 'stiffness' experience to compare to. Unfortunately I believe that I have a 'stiff' VC, using Rainer's description.

The Question I put to fellow Syncronauts :

Has anyone on the list, besides Rainer, replaced a VC because it locked up too frequently ? Where do we draw the line on a gradually deteriorating item like this ? Once replaced, how dramatic was the difference between old and new ? How would you decide whether to replace it the next time ?

================= Wolfgang Carolsfeld wolfgang@island.net