Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:15:17 -0500
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: Long Distance Purchasing
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi,

Well, I thought I was crazy when I flew from Raleigh / Durham to Memphis to purchase a Carat sight-unseen. I have almost matched my purchase price in repairs and general maintenance that should have been done by the D.P.O., and I am still in love even though I get a nickel-sized spot of coolant on the floor every morning under the left head gasket. Anyway, the mechanic I use is Greg Ashe of Village Motorwerks in Raleigh. (919) 832-0899. (Yes, I have it memorized). He is not as detailed as gmbulley (who preaches: replace EVERY fuel line, clamp, coolant hose, moving part, etc.), but he does know how to fix Vanagons and his daily driver is an aircooled T-3 Westy. I have a hard time believing that the seller would take his van to an independent shop for an inspection, and / or deliver it to Atlanta for you -- but I have heard of stranger things! Unfortunately, my family and work obligations prevent me from going to Raleigh to take a look at it for you, but I can offer my backyard (in Durham) as temporary storage if that is helpful.

Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM <vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 4:50 PM Subject: Long Distance Purchasing