Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:42:04 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV-Joints (was: Web Page Update / Crew Cab update)
Comments: To: "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>,

** Reply to message from "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE> on Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:55:43 +0100

Woof! This is easy to visualize if you already know.... I'll give it a try.

First of all, the CV property means that the input and output shafts rotate at the same angular velocity throughout an entire rotation and without regard to how much the joint is flexed (within its design limits).

A "regular" U-joint is simply a disk with four stub shafts at the 90 degree points. The input and output shafts each have a trunnion which fits over two of the stubs at the 180 degree points. Now if you hold this straight, you simply have an expensive shaft, input and output velocities are the same. However, as you start to bend the joint the output shaft velocities will start to vary up and down through a complete rotation. For angles of a few degrees such as you get with a front engine / rear drive vehicle, the variation is small and is taken up in torsioning the (long) drive shaft components, and in other system slop. But as you increase the bend angle, the variation becomes pronounced, and at a certain angle the joint locks up entirely. Thus this is no good for transaxle systems with their short output shafts and significant bend angles.

Therefore a joint is needed which provides a considerable range of angles while maintaining a constant output speed, i.e. a CV joint. These are typically much like the one illustrated on Tom's website, with diagonal ball races in the inner and outer hubs, and power transmitted through the balls. At any angle other than 0, the balls slide back and forth in the races during a revolution, which is why they need superb high-pressure grease, and why they fail even though they are made extremely hard (if you look at the picture of a complete Lobro joint on Tom's page you can see the color pattern resulting from the hardening of the inner portion of the outer hub).

In the Vanagon the inner and outer joints are identical (and incidentally you can sometimes get some extra life from a joint by turning the axle around, which puts the pressure on the opposite side of the races), but on most cars the inner joint is of simpler construction with a formed outer hub attached to the transaxle, and three stub shafts with rollers on the output shaft, which slide in longitudinal grooves in the outer hub. I don't know why, does someone else here? Why can the inner joint be simpler and cheaper than the outer?

david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP9, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3