Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:01:17 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Precision measuring tools
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

A few days ago I mentioned that had bought some new precision measuring tools at an auction. I know what I have in them in total, but I don't know what I have in individual items. I'm offering them to List members for what I think are low prices. I'm not listing the single copies I'm keeping of each.

12 inch hardened surface .001 increment vernier calipers, Zeus brand, made in West Germany. The sales price sheet says $70. I'll sell them for $20. I have 4. Nice big size gives great versatility. But you should see the monster I'm keeping. For this price, why mess around with a weinie sized piece? These go down to zero just as well.

Same as above, but only 9 inches maximum measuring size. I have one. I'll sell it for $12.50. It's just not a big impressive piece like those above, but it's not one of those little pocket sized pieces either.

11 inch Zeus depth gauge with .001 vernier read scale. I have one. Call it $15.

1 inch micrometers, made in Germany, they have Helio engraved on the barrel, calibrated to .0001 inch, sealed in plastic envelope, varnished wood case with snap lock. I have 2. Call them $15 each.

1 to 2 inch micrometer, sealed in plastic, no .0001 vernier, so I guess it's only 1/1000 inch increment. Other than that, it appears the same. Maybe I don't know how to read it? It has a ring standard that is measured exactly 1 inch at 20 degrees centigrade! Fun. So you can check calibration. Same kind of wood case. I have only one. Call it $17.50

4 to 5 inch micrometer, these are Zeus (West German and have the .0001 vernier so you can read to 1/10,000 inch. Wood case, calibrating standard. I have three. Call them $20.

5 to 6 inch micrometer, West Germany, calibrated to 1/10,000 inch, calibrating standard, snap lock box, we are getting into some serious stuff here. On a bench with a set of known spacers, you can use one of these to measure things up to 6 inches. From 5 to 6 inches, you can use it directly. I have 5 and I'll take $22.50 each. If I could only have one, I'd pick a 0 to 1 inch or one of these.

Inside micrometer, 2 to 4 inches, there's a one inch replacement extension, that makes it 3 to 4 inches, without it, it's 2 to 3 inches. Calibrated to 1/10,000 inch. Same style snap lock wood case. I have only one to sell, and I'll sell it for $25.

New West Germany Richard ABR. Herder Solingern sharpening steels, 15" long, 10" steel and 5" handle, sealed in display package. These I remember, and I paid $3, so $3.00 buys one. I have three that I haven't given to friends smile.

Shipping: I could spend a lot of time finding a suitable box, driving out ot UPS, standing in the Christmas shipping line, all to save a little postage. But for $3.00, the Post Office provides a strong box and Priority Delivery for up to 32 ounces. For smaller packages, I'd prefer to go that way. If someone wants several and I'll need a different box anyway, if you want to go with parcel post, I'll do it.

I'm keeping one of everything for me, so they aren't listed. Now I believe these are GOOD prices. If someone returns this favor with a note offering to sell me a Westy front seat swivel base for $150, I think I'll consider sending them a package that ticks. <G> As a matter of fact, I wont sell to that person. John