Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:40:03 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Engine Conversion Options
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 12:43 11/12/98 -0500, Michael Townsend wrote: >Hi,

>I am keeping an eye on engine conversion options just in case I need to choose one in the next year or two. I have some questions:

>If I bought the 5 cyl. audi conversion kit, and I wanted a new motor, how much and what is the newest motor that would fit? I could call my local Audi dealer, but I wouldn't know what to ask for.

The best bang for the buck IMO is the 2.3L from the Audi 5000. There are CIS-III based and have about 140lb torque across a wide smooth power band. I have one of these in my 87 Quattro. The only thing I don't like about this engine is in stock form it doesn't like above 4000 RPM very much.

>What is the horsepower and torque difference between the Eurospec with the Golf gti motor and the audi 5 cyl? I might occasionally do light duty towing, so the extra cylinder might be useful!

Which Audi 5 cylinder? You could go really crazy and get a 2.2L Turbo! Personally I like the VW 4s as they are smaller, lighter and more available. Another thing about the VW 4s is they are still in production in North Americia - unlike the I5. Performance parts are also availble too. The 2.0L in my Rabbit PU will propel it from 0 to 100km/h in about 6.5 seconds or so.

>The golf motor is 2.0 L, which is smaller than my 2.1 L waterboxer -- yet it has more power?

10.5:1 compression ratio, better exhaust and intake system. Same torque mind you.

>I was at my local VW dealer today, and asked the parts guy for the price on a 2.1L Waterboxer long block. It wasn't in the book! What gives? The short blocks were $2300, and he claimed that heads are $1000 each. I guess that puts us closer to the Eurospec conversion price, after all.

The wasserboxer isn't an option IMHO... The Audi 5 or VW 4 is a decent choice.

>And, most importantly of all, is someone going to develop a TDI kit? I would be perfectly happy with the 1.9l TDI -- I just would have to regear the transmission. I think that I could start saving my money a lot faster if I knew a TDI was possible in the future.

TDI is very possible IF you can afford one. One problem with BIG (in VW terms) torque motors is that they are hard on transmissions.

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --