Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:05:15 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@TUSC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sniveling Lurkers
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> We all know that a Sniveling Lurker is a status that can be > eradicated by one's own actions, i.e. public posting to the > List.

not so fast, Grasshopper!! (gras-shopper?? as in someone who shops just before Mardi Gras??) ... a Sniveling Lurking UNKNOWN is someone who has NOT told ye olde Keeper of the Statz what bus they own/drive/lust-after. only if they SAY in the public post AND i happen to see it, do they cease from SLU status. :)

> However, an issue that I have not seen raised here is whether > there are any other quasi-official designations. Do we have > any List Gurus, Honored Contributors, Venerable Vanagoneers, or > are we all simply Members? Do we have a hierarchy? Should > we?

more likely the correct terminology is "Inmates". :) or "long-term Patients".

> If so, how does one achieve the various levels? Who should > make these critical decisions? Do we need rules or bylaws?

List Guru status is achieved when you attend a Gathering of Buses, and the masses flock to your bus,and bow down before it, muttering things like "OMMMMMMMMMM" and so forth. you, of course, are thereafter required to sit cross-legged (if your tired old knees permit) in front of a fire, and discuss the years of bus experience contained in your Busma (that's karma, with an emphasis on Buses).

Honored Contributor status is achieved when someone ELSE on the list informs the multitudes "hey, i tried that idea of Bozo's, and it really worked!!". paying for such postings by others is considered Bad Form.

Venerable Vangoneer status is achieved with a trip of more than 500 miles (one way) without so much as a flat tire. standing around an engine-pull, commenting on how wrong they are doing it, doesn't count.

ALL who listen at the Email Fount of Wisdom are "Members" ... even those without a "member" of their own. ;) of course, should any governmental agency inquire, NONE of us are Members. :)

yes, there is a hierarchy. old people go first. :) the one with the longest beard (or hair, in the case of our feminine Members) goes to the head of the line. the shiniest bus goes first, when all else is equal. campers precede non-campers. syncros go to the back of the line, cause that's where the most traction is needed. ;) alloy wheels, fog and/or driving lights, extra antennas of various kinds, driving computers, ham radios, cb radios, and snazzy paint jobs don't count. only age ... for in Age, there is Wisdom. ;)

critical decisions are made by those in critical condition. mental breakdowns are considered a requirement for elevation to Critcal Decision Maker of the List. however, the ability to coherently mumble is still necessary ... babbling is not considered sufficient.

Rules? we don't need no stinkin' RULES!! :)

bylaws? well ... yeah, we could buy laws, but them folks in Congress want a LOT of money these days. i think we'd be better off without them. :)

> Should we have elected delegates or hold a town meeting? How > is the ruling class to be held responsible to the masses? What > about discipline? Should there be virtual police?

i thought they ran us off after that last town meeting? or was it just me? ruling classes are NEVER held responsible. that's why EVERYbody wants to be in the ruling class!! sheesh! didn't you learn nothing in history class??

discipline? well, ok, but keep the noise down. and pull the curtains on your bus ... we don't want the kids to want that kind of stuff.

virtual police?? naw. we got enough of the non-virtual kind. maybe some virtual forest rangers ... just to keep people from going around breaking off the tree limbs to build virtual fires under someone else's virtual butt. :) how bout a Virtual Smokey Bear?? we could call him/her/it Virtual Virgil. or the Virtual Vigilante? the Virtual Vanagon? High Exalted Grand Mufti Poobah?

> Fellow Listees, what are your thoughts?

well ... i wuz thinking about this girl that i went to high school with. then i was thinking about a hamburger. with onions and pickles and mustard and ketchup. from this Dairy Queen that i used to take that girl to in high school. in my beetle. back when $10 was plenty of money for a date: buy gas, go to the movies, back to the DQ after the movie. and still have a few dollars left over afterwards. sigh. them were the days.

the other day i was thinking about when i was in the army, and $400 a month seemed like a fortune.

i think about a lots of stuff. you sure you want to hear it all??? :)

unca joel (with a grey, 7.75" beard :)