Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:57:22 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@TUSC.NET>
Subject:      Re: more southern humor
Comments: To: Cameron Hunziker <Cameron.Hunziker@BLACKBAUD.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Cameron Hunziker wrote: > 36 Things You'll Never Hear in the South

i dunno about the rest of the Southerners on the list, but i personally, being from the Great State of Alabama, take some offense at this!!!! we do, too, say things like that!!! a point by point retort:

Shakespeare is a very fine maker of fishing rods, and MANY times special models have sold for $1000 or more. i don't know who that Alex fellow is, but if he knows anything about fishing, he'll know Shakespeare!! (not the same folks what makes them CB radio antennas, by the way).

i have heard this MANY times in the Emergency Room at the local hospital!!

well, hell, NObody drinks beer that comes in a GREEN bottle!!! how can you tell if it's SPOILED??!!! sheesh!

depends on which house you're talking about: the main house, or the little house out behind the big house. :)

contrary to popular Yankee belief, we Sutherners love our dogs, and will NOT feed them just anything. besides, dogs are smart. they won't eat most of the stuff served by some of the fast food restaurants or high school cafeterias.

again, contrary to a viscious Yankee legend, MOST folks in the South have NOT been to Graceland, so they have no idea how tacky it is.

of course not. most Southerners raise CATTLE or PIGS, not goats!! sheesh!!

that's cause any fool can watch tv, and see that it ain't fake! it's just as real as C-Span and all them Congress-folks!!

and why would this NOT be heard in the South? Greenpeace Fidelity Finance and Mobile Homes is a very big company down here. many of us mail "donations" to them every month.

oh, foo. i have too heard this. why, only last election, i voted for THREE of them Vegetarian candidates. cause the Demicrats are getting too uppy with their stealing.

big hair is nothing to laugh about. it can be helped, if caught early and treated with the proper medicine. i don't think that's funny. like saying "do you think my warts are too big"??

well, who eats GRAPEFRUIT for supper!???? of course, nobody says that. i'll bet none of them Yankees eat grapefruit for SUPPER!! sheesh!

naturally. we'd say it like this: "Sugar, them bonsai trees could use some more watering." we just say it a bit different, that's all.

i've heard this many times. mostly from wives. or as we like to call them, Winston-Cup widows. :)

when a man tries to watch his figure, this is all he says at the Feed Store. only a real glutton says "Fred, gimme that 5-lb bag of pork rinds. i'm gonna watch me some movies this afternoon!"

depends. if you're talking about Graceland, sure. and in a dentist's office, this WOULD be heard. deer heads do NOT look attractive when viewed from a horizontal position.

if you can't play the game, hang your head in shame! but i have heard this said many times ... mostly by city folk, to be sure. especially those little old ladies who live them Cuban cigars.

usually said in frustration, just after the Saturday afternoon sale. them Walmart stores usually get cleaned out of plum near EVERthing. takes til about Wednesday to get it mostly restocked.

we say this quite often. the part you left off was "and give it to my dog. he loves that part."

well, of course not. we don't speak anything but English down here. not many Italians around these parts. a few Mexicans, up working in Walmart or picking pecans. but that's about it.

obviously never been around a tire store. this has been said over and over and over, almost every Saturday. but you've misquoted it: it should read "The truck on them tires is too big."

like i said, we only speak English down here.

said all the time. we got computers. how do you think i'm writing this?? we ain't exactly literate, you know!!

MANY of my Southern friends prefer UNsweetened tea!! that way, they can add the six or seven spoonfuls of sugar themselves. lots of folks prefer to sweeten their own beverages. it's a personal thing.

many of us happen to like our catfish broiled. especially if we're out of ketchup. it tastes better that way with Heinz 57 sauce.

MANY young brides-to-be have said this. Tiffany's Tanning Saloon and Barbecue Emporium caters MANY of our finest weddings!

well, of course not! usually there's a Winston Cup race on at the same time as the Super Bowl!!! who wants to watch some professional football (i hear it's fake anyway!) when you can watch NASCAR??

never hear it said? ha! you didn't run into my granny last summer, did you?

all them southern chinese folks over in Birmingham ask that, every time they go to Quincey's Steakhouse, where they have that BIG salad bar.

that's because they quit making that show. most of us have the complete set anyway, so it's not likely we'd be watching reruns.

oh, i have, too, heard this! not everybody gets to go to college down here. some of us like Auburn AND Alabama. sure it makes family life a bit difficult, but what the heck ... it lets me watch TWICE as many games on tv!! :)

we sure do say this. a lot! most restaurants do NOT put the salad dressing on the salad ... you have to get up from your table, go over to the salad bar (where the bean sprouts are, remember?), pile the lettuce, beans, tomatoes, potato salad, onions, peppers, olives, stale-bread-crumbs, cheese on your plate, THEN walk over to the dressing faucets and pour the dressing on the salad. only them fancy-smancy high-priced restaurants give you those stupid little cups of stuff that won't even cover the stale-bread-crumbs.

MANY times i've said this to my wife, just before giving the whole pot of beans to the dogs! she can't cook beans worth nothing! now, she's really good at pork rinds, though.

EVERY time Darla buys me undershorts, i tell her that. she NEVER gets the right size and they ride up in the crack of my ass.

heard at least four or five times a day at the courthouse. with so many kids named at the Great Mr. Presley, it's hard to know WHICH Elvis your friends are talking about ... Elvis Smith, or Elvis Jones, or Elvis who works down at the Sewage Plant.

we hear this every time we go to that Australian Outback restaurant. every time the waiter brings the check to the table, that's what he says!!! with an accent, too!

so don't gimme this "they ain't got no culture down South" stuff. we have just as much "culture" as anyone else ... it's just different, that's all!! you have to live here a couple of decades to appreciate it all. :)

unca joel from Sweet Home Alabama. :)