Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:02:51 EST
From:         Andrew Martin <Noganav@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Syncro part numbers for crankshaft shims, o-ring and oil seal
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

My problem began last week with a major oil leak coming from betwen the engine and transmission of my 87 Syncro. After removing the engine and then the flywheel, I discovered the crankshft endplay shims had been shredded and destroyed the oil seal. My flywheel also suffered quite a bit of abuse most likely caused by the excessive crankshaft end play. I have been advised by some to rebuild the entire engine but finances dictate I at least try to remedy the situation by replacing all affected parts. Those parts are; Flywheel, thrust washer, endplay shims, o-ring, oil seal, felt washer, and needle bearing ('cause it's cheap and easy right now). If I get 6 months and a 10 thousand more miles out of this I'll be happy. When rebuild time comes, I will most likely do an 5 cylinder engine conversion with the assistance of our mutual friend Ken Wilfry. More POWER, Please!!!!

Monday morning I called Bow Wow/Autovise in Lynnwood WA for prices and availability of parts. Lynnwood is about 25 miles away but with a ferry ride and driving time it takes about 3 1/2 hours to get there and back. The voice on the phone said they would have a resurfaced flywheel by noon and assured me that they stock EVERYTHING else I need. I restated that I had a Syncro Vanagon, that it was different that the 2WD Vanagon, explained my location, and left my phone number telling the voice to call me before I left home if there was any problems. "No problem" the voice said. I arrived at Bow Wow around 3:00pm. They had my flywheel ready to go but nothing else. "The Syncro is different than the 2WD Vanagon" they said. "No sh*t?" I said. I bought the resurfaced flywheel for $75.00 (45.00 plus a 25.00 core as my flywheel was damaged beyond reuse). They thoughtfully referred me to the VW dealer for the remaining parts. I was not impressed with them for not listening to me when I called and giving me a b.s. line about having EVERYTHING I need without first checking to be sure. Furthermore, when I arrived back home, I checked the answering machine....no messages.

I ordered the remaining parts from Parr VW in Bremerton, WA on Tuesday and picked them up on Friday. I paid an additional 12.00 to have the parts on Friday rather than Monday or Tuesday. Quite a hefty sum considering what I ordered cost about 34.00 and weighed less that a pound!

Here is a list of what I bought from the dealer including description, cost, and VW part number. Attention!!!! I am repairing a 1987 Vanagon Syncro. A 2WD Vanagon may require different parts :-)

Flywheel Shims as shown in fig. 13 on Page 13.41 of the Bentley Manual Shim arrangement (from 1986) A Thrust Washer 025 105 635 10.27 B Spacer 025 105 281 3.03 (larger than other shims) C Shims Note: the sizes you will need depends on the amount of crankshaft end play. I bought one of each and list them by size. 0.24mm 021 105 281 3.03 0.25mm 021 105 291 3.03 0.33mm 021 105 283 3.03 0.34mm 021 105 285 3.03 0.36mm 021 105 287 3.03 0.38mm 021 105 289 3.03

D Spacer 025 105 283 2.54 E Oil Seal 020 105 245 26.10 F O Ring 021 105 279 2.05

Other Parts shown on Page 13.37 of the Bentley Manual

Needle Bearing 111 105 313A 4.50 Felt Ring 021 105 311 .73

On Friday I finally had all the parts I need to put my van back together. I've included the VW numbers in hopes that it will assist other Syncro owners in finding their parts at a source other than the pricey VW Dealer. I will be putting everything back together tomorrow and will post the results.

Andrew