Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:46:28 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Eurospec Conversion
Comments: To: Blbachman@AOL.COM, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The 2.0L in my Syncro Double Cab sounds like a lot nicer swap for a heck of a lot less. It was pretty simple once the motor mounts were figured out. No vibrations at speed, only a slight vibration at my 850rpm idle due to the HARD Rabbit Diesel mounts that I used. The original Vanagon power steering pump functions quite nicely with no mods to the lines or pump. I get about 11L per 100km on the highway which is a lot better than the boxer gave me.

At 23:12 12/12/98 EST, Blaine Bachman wrote: >Let's see if this works - used to be that non-subscriber mail didn't bounce, >but now? > >Anyway, I'm a former list member (but couldn't keep up with the mail (and >frankly, had heard the tire discussion one time too many) so I bailed). > >I've got almost a week of commuting on a Eurospec conversion and I figured I'd >report on it since I didn't see too much traffic on the archives. > >I think I like it! My installation is on a '91 Westfalia automatic. I do >notice the added power, and it's comforting to know that the very reliable >Golf powerplant is pushing the car. Minor downers are that there's nothing >you can access via the license plate door - ya' have to open the cover to >check and add oil or coolant. > >I also imagine that the car "leans" to the left slightly, especially with me, >the sink/stove/fridge, and the top of the engine on the left side. I >wonder.... > >Be advised that this is a costly bugger. $4995 for the basic conversion, a >grand to my local "licensed" shop for the installation, about $450 in "extras" >for my particular installation, and $350 for the Governor. Additional (read: >not free) parts are required for the power steering, auto trans, air >conditioner, cruise control, and even the dynamic oil pressure system. In >some cases, the cost on the extra "kits" seemed a bit extreme. > >The rebuilt/readjusted servo for the autotranny still needs some >work/adjustment. Right now it's set up a bit too "hot" - it won't hit 3rd >until about 45mph (40 if you throttle back quite a bit), and I'd say it >downshifts a bit too easily, both into second and into first (I stomped on it >going up a steep hill in 2nd doing about 30mph and it went into first - talk >about rev thrills!) > >And there's a pretty hairy harmonic vibration in the shifter at about 4200RPM >- put my hand on it and it dies out. > >Anxious to see what the gas mileage shows - I seem to have traveled further on >a quarter tank of gas than with the old engine. > >All in all - okay. I don't recommend you do it just for fun, because of the >cost. Save your money up and do it when the ol' wasserboxer takes a dump. >Those South Africans are on the right track. > >Questions? Drop by for a tour if you're passing through Albuquerque. > >-Blaine > >

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --