Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:31:37 -0500
From:         Michael J Vickey <vickrail@VELOCITY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Disadvantages of syncros AND syncro question
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Yes, filling the tank and getting FULL is a problem. One of my 87 Syncros I had bought used a few years back, and on this one, the tank gets full when the pump stops. I questioned the previous owner about it, and he told me that he was having the same problem, but that he had a "retrofit kit" installed into the gas line somewhere that allowed extra venting of the gas line. He did not know exactly what was involved, and I have never heard of this "kit" since.

That 87 is the only Syncro I've owned that fills completely at the gas station.

As far as other problems with Syncros (besides being harder to maintain), the only thing I have noticed is that a few times during extreme cold, the trans can get really stiff. I assume that ice builds up on the driveshaft after driving in slush, then when it sits the slush freezes.

Other than those things, I love my Syncros and prefer them for driving on slippery roads.

Michael J Vickey - northwest Pennsylvania

the current VW collection: 84 Vanagon Wlfsbrg blue (parts) 85 DblCab Pickup lt gray 87 Vanagon Syncro GL Wolfram gray 87 Vanagon Syncro GL dove blue 88 Vanagon Carat burgundy 88 DblCab Pickup Tornado red 90 DblCab Pickup navy blue 90 DblCab Pickup Syncro black 91 Vanagon Camper GL orly blue 91 Vanagon Syncro flash silver 93 Eurovan MV Tornado red 95 Eurovan Camper white