Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:09:04 -0600
From:         Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Porsche trans. (automatic -sort of) swap.
Comments: To: Eric Pickering <mv_54@OMALP1.OMERESA.OHIO.GOV>,
          vanagon@vanagon.com

>Howdy, > As for the Sportomatic (60s & 70s made) it bolts right up to the >aircooled engines which, I think, means it doesn't bolt right up to the >watercooled engines. The triptronic, again expensive, is similar

Actually, the waterboxer will bolt right up to an aircooled tranny. The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same. There may be problems with getting a starter to fit, etc. though.

>although I don't know specifics. I'm pretty sure Kennedy makes adaptors >for them. If I had the $$ I'd definitely do a triptronic, they will >handle all kinds of hps, are smooth and very versitile! I had the

Torque is the relevant figure, not HP. 500 ft lb at 0.1 rpm isn't much power, but it'll destroy your average gear box.

Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@lear.csp.ee.memphis.edu