Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:11:26 -0900
From:         Chris and Alina <bigsofa@ALASKA.NET>
Subject:      Syncros in the Fridge / Hello to Anchorage....
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Scott,

The best thing going to preheat my Vanagon engine is my garage! After 3 years in a cabin near Fairbanks, we bought a house last spring and the Syncro loves the garage this winter. We don't drive it so much any more, as it has become our 3rd vehicle. Still runs great, 105,000 miles. I haven't thought lately about how hard it was to drive my Van when it got much below zero degrees F. But it can be done!

Mine has a battery heater, an oil pan heater, and an in-line radiator hose antifreeze heater, all 110V AC.

The oil pan heater looks like a VWAG product, stamped with the Audi symbol and a VW part number that I'll try to get for you. It mates well with the fins and contours of the oil pan. It's all aluminum, not a rubber pad like the others I've installed on other cars.

The in-line heater must do the job that the freeze-plug insert heater does on my Japanese cars. It's on the passenger side of the block, and gets mighty hot.

The van always started great as long as it had been plugged in, even down to about -25 F. Once, at the end of a 6 day ski tour, we had to start it at -35 F (it had been -50 that morning). We put the backpack stoves beneath the oil pan, charged the battery with the help of a pipeline service truck, and she did start. It was 20 minutes or so before I could release the clutch pedal without stalling, or move the shifter. We had a bad case of square tires that night!

What I never solved was the power steering loss at low temperatures. Seems like the pump and resevoir are next to the engine and could warm up, but the rack is up front and stays stiff. I pondered the idea of a 12V heater on the reservoir or someplace up front, but never pursued it. Or maybe the belts don't do their job when it's so cold; they sure do squeal upon start up.

Good luck with your van, happy new year, and keep in touch. We'll be passing through on the way to Kauai in a week or so; where's the best New Year's Eve party?

Cheers, Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL Fairbanks, Alaska