Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Dec 1998 15:17:35 -0500
From:         Dave Caston <DavidCaston@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Soft luggage rack pouch-research
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi listees! I want to explore options for having a soft luggage rack pouch made that we can store stuff in and protect them from the elements. The idea is to construct it from heavy truck tarp type fabric that is durable and element proof. I know a manufacturer and tried to presuade him to make such an animal on his own but he claimed/felt that there would not be enough interest. Well, I think different. Hench the p-mail. So, if you would respond via e-mail to (davidcaston@compuserve.com) with _responses only_ to the following questions I would appreciate it a great deal. (The more responses I receive the more accutrate the research!)

1) Would you be interested in a soft pouch that we could strap securely to the top of our beloved vanagons/buses?

2) Does everyone have the factory installed lash down hardware riveted into the the luggage area? Are busses significantly different?

3) If no factory lash points are available to you where would you feel confident in attaching it? (i.e. rain gutters, a clip that goes inside door frame?)

4) Does such an animal currently exist?

5) If answer to four is yes, who sells/makes them?

6) What would the fair asking price be for something like this? $100, $150, $200? (Remember you get what you pay for)

7) What items would you like to carry most often in it? i.e. sleeping bags, tents, folding chairs, etc.

8) What would be the max height above the edge you feel adequate?

Thanks, Dave, Sherrie & an 85 GL Westie named "Vinnie" Hangin' in Allentown, PA "The wheels on the bus go round & round (hopefully)!"