Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:44:45 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Re: Front heater motor blues
Comments: To: DanielisOk@aol.com

From: <DanielisOk@aol.com>

Hi Martin and others, I like to thank you for this info. Ques: My front heater blower was making a very small sound on the low speed setting, as if the blades were slighly touching the fan housing. On med and high speeds the sound would go away. The other day on low speed, the van filled up with a little smoke and I could smell electric/plastic burning. I guessed, that it was coming from the fan area. I notice that the fan was no longer working on the low speed but, it did con't to work in med and high speed. Could this be the resistor or the fan motor??? How much work is it to repair this problem. Any info would be helpful.

In your case I suspect the low speed resistor burned due to overload. Something may have gotten into the fan causing the noise, or if the sound was anything like whistling it's likely a bearing problem. You could compare your fans current draw to a friends using an Ampere-meter.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------