Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:58:15 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Y2K revisited
Comments: To: Peter <PRINTSTUD@PRODIGY.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 08:32 PM 12/27/98 -0600, Peter wrote: > I just heard a new radio article about the Y2K bug and that cars may >fail due to the chips in them. I read all the related vanagon archives >and the concensus is that the main ECU will not be a problem. Then I >wondered if there might be any other chips hiding in the vanagon that >might be affected?? Any ideas anybody? Are we safe? are we in the >clear? Thanks,

The Y2K 'bug' is a situation where on january 1, 2000 some computers will think that it's 1900. For accounting and other date specific aplications this can be a very bad thing. For our beloved vanagons?..

1) there is no actual date function in any chip in your vanagon

2) even if there was, the vanagon wouldn't care if it was sent back through time.

3) if you have a laptop in your vanagon, this does not apply to your p.c. the p.c. still needs to be checked.

4) aftermarket car stereos won't have a problem either, however, if you're radio goes dead, try it again in 2020 and see if you pick up a jack benny broadcast <g>

chris smith director of smoke and mirrors die busbesitzer gruppe