Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:10:31 -0800
From:         Doug Jones <duge4wd@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Email
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Ken, You shouldn't be flogged. You offered a suggestion, and so did I. I know AOL can be a bear, and somewhat user-unfriendly, especially when it comes to email. I wasn't trying to hold your feet to the flames; You just got me thinking about how I handle my massive electronic mail load. I have also been unsuccessful at using Outlook Express (OE) to download my Hotmail account; Which is strange when you think both were developed and are owned by Microsoft.

Sounds like divide and conquer!

Anyway, If you can access a POP3 mail server address to download your mail, you should be able to download it into OE. But there's no guarantee.

Maybe the answer is to get one of these free email accounts like Hotmail or Yahoo and use it strictly for the Vanagon list. This will segregate your vanagon mail automatically. I was going to do just that when I began having difficulties between the MSN mail server and the server at my Jeep listserve; but, now the MSN server has apparently called a cease-fire and all is quiet on the Jeep front.

I probably don't read as many posts on this list as some other members, so I can't speak to any of this stuff about Ken's "doing business on the list." I RE-filter my Vanagon mail by perusing the subj headings, and stick pretty much to the syncro tech posts. SO, please DO NOT waste any bandwidth reading me the riot act for NOT trashing the man. I try NOT to write about things I'm not familiar with.

Ken, Don't feel persecuted for having an idea. Allot of people wouldn't have even put this kind of thing forward for debate, and then we wouldn't be trying to solve what appears to be an issue for some members. We're probably not all computer geniuses, and some people may be unaware that they can filter their email in this way.

DougJ

PS. the new beta of IE 5.0 is out and includes a mail program which might (read might) help your problem. I'll look into it.

I've also considered using the Hotmail strictly for NGs b/c of the spamming from the addresses they harvest from publicly accessible servers. I can read NGs from OE using my MSN account; but, post to NGs using my Hotmail.