Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:30:27 +0100
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>
Subject:      What happened with the DRLīs?(longish)

Hi Vannagonners! Gee, I hope Iīm not stirring up a hornets nest here by asking this question but after all those letters on the subject everything completely died and living on the other side of the world I donīt see or hear about US legislations that much soit would just be nice to be able to follow the thread to an end:-) Part of the interest comes out of the fact that we had the same discussions in Sweden in the early seventies with a DRL - law formed in -74 or -75. It still amuses me as much to recall all the anti- sides arguments, you wouldnīt see pedestrians or bicykle riders so there would be an increase in those accidents, the car batteries lifespan would be shortened, one guy even estimated how many millions of gallons of gas - and thereby pollution - this would add every year! And since this was in those days when we still drove 6V cars with DC generators the "mecanics" side won half a victory when the government decided that " to begin with itīs OK to drive with 21w bulbs in aproved lights with yellow lenses pointing forward" wich led to a boom of crappy lights made out of cromed PVC ! A year later the politicians had decided that " you should have your taillights on too " wich made the aftermarket even welthier selling relays and wire- harnessesfor a year or so until the politicicians frankly decided : low beams day and night. so now every FLAPS sells "donīt forget buzzers" or "low beam relay kits". Myself I think the idea is good, you spot cars a lot better even at broad daylight - specially with the sun in your face its perfect! Here comes the Vannagon part! Beceause of us having this law since the mid seventies every Swedish vanagon is equipped with what I believe to be an improvement of the Gov. idea, with the lightswich in OFF mode and the ignition on , current is feeded to the low beam through a resistor, taking the voltage down slightly and thereby extending the life of the bulbs. IF you have got the DRL-law, or if youré interested anyway, Í could try to get a copy of the wiring diagram with the part no.s and put it on my website. I also want to wish you all a Happy new year! Calle -88 Vanagon Mullhyttan Sweden

[text/html]