Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:10:07 -0800
From:         Carter <carters@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy Shower

Marshall R. typed >Now, does anybody have a good practical solution for taking a shower with the Westy?<

Even though this was tongue-in-cheek, our solution is one of those solar bags plus the plastic curtain/cedar floor combi's available at REI and others. Now this is not a big revelation in itself, but the question of how to rig this puppy up was a bit of a challenge but not for long.

I have a homemade kayak rack (I posted awhile back on this one...made the saddles out of 10-inch PVC, nuked in the micro) so I just slide the bottom part of my homemade lantern pole (1/2-inch gal pipe) into the hollow tube for said (rear) rack and hang both bag & curtain on the pole. I drilled through both rack and pole and use a 1/4-inch bolt for a pin to prevent the pole from sliding. This contraption sticks out from the side about 3 feet and is just high enough to work.

This set up has allowed us to camp where there is no shower or a handy tree...places like Kirk Creek in Big Sur (also good for washing off poison oak) and El Burro Beach, south of Mulege in Baja (somebody has to go!). When not used as a shower, we keep & use the porta-potty in the shower curtain when boondocking.

Kit Carter, 85 Westy central coast, CA