Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:52:34 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Eurospec Conv.(followup-kinda
Comments: To: Blaine Bachman <bbachman@DSDABQ.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 17:19 29/12/1998 -0700, Blaine Bachman wrote: >Without intending to unjustly harm or >alarm, just a note on the high price of >"accessorizing." I believe that I got >a slight break off the MSRP from my >local mechanic. Nevertheless, most of >the add-ons seemed a bit pricey for >what I got. For instance: > >1. What the heck is a "Tachometer Kit" >and why did it cost $20? Is there >something inherently different between >the wasserboxer's electronic ignition >and that of the 2.0 Golf?

The tach on my 2.0L conversion was as simple as connecting the green wire to terminal 1 on the coil.

>2. Why another $20 for the "Dynamic oil >sensor kit?" I've already proven to >myself that the "L" board (brains of >the system) behind the tach is the same >on the Golf and late Vanagon. Two >simple wires DIRECTLY to the engine, >one to each sender and you're done. >What did I get for my $20?

The oil pressure sender on my WB had two connectors, one for high pressure one for low pressure. The I4 had a low pressure warning sender. I just grounded the high input. No problems.

>3. What is a $75 power steering >installation kit - my pump, my >reservoir; pump pretty much in the same >place - were there nevertheless hose >add-ons or replacements? $75 bracket? >I'll have to look (or look for the gold >plating).

Power steering was an interesting fix on mine. I used a A/C compressor bracket, shims and a little creativity. $75 sounds like a deal to me!

>4. And the "coup de grace"; the cruise >control kit - $90!! (list is evidently >over $100). From what I could tell, >this includes a fairly simple mounting >bracket, a short length of generic >cable, and a cable clamp. Even the >mechanic figured it was worth maybe >$15-20. Does someone at the source >have a passive-aggressive attitude >towards those of us with C/C?

I hate C/C - it gives me a feeling of "lack of control" so...

>And to top it off, the thing is poorly >designed - the cable falls off the >throttle cam lever whatchamacallit >rendering the C/C inoperative. The >mechanic band-aided it - but for $90 it >should have been a technological wonder >(with a Lewinski feature, if you get my >drift)! > >Don't get me wrong - I'm MORE THAN >HAPPY with the overall concept and >execution (accelerating up hills and >all - yippee! - they couldn't come up >with this idea in Hannover/Wolfsburg??)

The power is nice!

> I'm just a bit pissed at looking like >I got screwed on these little things >(I'd rather get a little screwing on a >big thing - which I probably got anyway >- than a big screwing on a little >thing). And by bringing it up to y'all >other potential customers, maybe it'll >save you some $$ (or at least reduce >the nasty surprise factor).

Personally $5K is way too expensive for the kit.

>Or did I pay for the entire >cruise/tach/oil/steering R&D effort? > >BTW, for anyone who relies on the >European Car/VW Trends write-up, the >cited $5000 price is just for the basic >engine kit - installation (and all this >other stuff) is evidently not included. > >Alas! That my w'boxer might have >lasted until this kit was available in >a "shadetree" version (please no >preaching from the recent DitY guys who >did their own "four-in-line >integration").

I'll give input if called for.

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Administrator -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Classic H2O VW Parts http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --