Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:15:10 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: How to tell if it is stainless steel pipe? (careful,I'm
              technobabbling)
Comments: To: PaoloD1455@AOL.COM

Thanks Paul for the knowledgeable comments.

> From: Paolo Damiani <PaoloD1455@AOL.COM> > > If it's at all magnetic, it's not a 300 series stainless. 300 series SSs are > austenitic and therefore non-magnetic. Ferritic or duplex SSs are magnetic. > Generally speaking the austenitic steels (300 series) have superior corrosion > resistance to the others. > I have seen welded 300 series SSs show some mild magnetic properties, but this > is usually due to no or poor heat treating after the welding. These areas tend > to be more susceptible to corrosion because of this loss of austenite and > formation of HAZ.

So intuitively could you say that ferritic or austenitic depends on wether the magnetic domains are randomly or coherently oriented, and that orientation can be disturbed either by adding more chromium etc. to the alloy or by heat treating. However I'm puzzled since it seems to me that a rapid cooling like after welding will cause random orientations and hence be non-magnetic, not like you say mildly magnetic.

> There are "acid test" kits out there to determine alloys. I'm not sure if > it's worth the trouble. Alternatively, if you have a friend at a university > or in industry with access to analytical equipment, you might get be able to > get a "freebie".

Is there some way to compose a test kit from household chemicals? John suggested vineger. What types of steel would that leave intact and what ones corrode?

> has a scanning electron microscope with ED Spectrometer capability (pretty > common instrument) and have them run an EDS analysis. > > Make sure they run it at least 30 kV. You should a fairly good "semi-

I love these high-tech superexpensive solutions to solve my own private problems! However no freebee's for me here I'm afraid.

Thanks, MArtin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------