Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:05:19 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Paint and rust repair,
              DIY paint jobs  (was windshield installation)

In a message dated 1/7/99 12:59:08 AM Mountain Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> I didn't try to repaint the patched area because I don't have any paint that > color paint and 95% of the primed area is under the new seal and hardly > shows. > (I also used dark grey primer.) I hope to get some other areas of the van > painted soon and I'll deal with it then. >

Hi Andrew,

For future reference you might shoot on some paint over your rust repairs even if the paint isn't a perfect match (Duplicolor touch up can from the Pep Men for example) The reason is primer (most primers anyway, unless you used aircraft Epoxy primer) absorbs water. You see this all the time on cars that someone started to restore, went to all the trouble to sand and prime, then never got around to doing the paint part of the job. You'll see the surface rust coming through the primer in large areas. Primer is very little better as far as protecting the steel from rust than leaving the steel bare! Don't feel bad, its a common misconception about what primer actually is or does. On your job the rust conversion stuff will ward off future rust pretty good for a while.

Hot rodders that like that grey primer look starting a few years ago discovered the trick of mixing some clear lacquer in with the primer to get a water resistant finish and still have that "hot rod in primer for the street" look. Now they sell topcoats that look like flat primers but are real topcoat formulations.

You can get a pint of automotive paint mixed to your cars paint code for a pretty reasonable amount of money (like less than 20 bucks). If you want it actually matched to your Van's faded paint then that usually runs another 20-25 bucks at most paint stores. Pick up a gallon of thinner or reducer to match the type of paint you got,(stick with conventional lacquer or enamel, no need for catalyzed stuff for touch up) thin it out in small batches that you can keep in a plastic 35mm film can and just use this to touch up spots using a small brush. The more you thin the paint the more likely the paint will flow out smooth and hide the brush marks (buy slow thinner or reducer, stuff rated for higher ambient temperatures as this will make the paint slower drying which aids in flowout, and gives the bugs time to land in the wet paint ;^) Its a technique thing best experimented with.

Someone recently asked about repainting Vanagons. If you have a garage and its not too illegal where you live you can always do it yourself. Its a massive, dirty job doing the prep work but you can buy a compressor and spray gun or better yet, buy a decent HVLP spray gun and turbine (much more environmentally friendly for the do it yourselfer) and try it yourself. Practice painting some file cabinets or something to see it you like the process. Stick with conventional enamel to minimize health dangers to yourself and neighbors. Even buying the equipment you will save mucho dollars over the $2000 price quoted recently. Saving money is not the best reason to undertake something like this though, educational experience and personal satisfaction in your own craftsmanship is probably the best reason. A good place to start would be to buy one of those "Paint your own Car" books at the local Barnes and Noble to learn a little about the bewildering variety of types of automotive paint products available.

Finally, I think I hear an environmentalist bristling at the horror of painting your own car in a facility without overspray collection and other EPA safeguards. Certainly something to think about but consider this. By maintaining an older car well beyond its product design life you are saving the planet the environmental abuse of having to produce another new car for your use. Repainting your Vanagon has a miniscule impact on Mother Earth compared with mining iron ore and pumping enough crude oil to produce the steel and plastics to produce another 4000 pound means of personal conveyance. Most local ordinances concerning paint shops are aimed more at regulating small fly by night businesses and make little sense as applied to a private individual painting one car every ten years. IMHO anyway.

Carl Turner 84 Westy (being slowly prepped for paint now) and 85 Westy (with enough shiny paint left to get me down the road for a few years I think)