Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:01:36 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Re. List Vendors, Ken Flaming

At 11:04 AM 1/1/99 -0700, Kent Christensen wrote: >IMHO this list is over the top as regards commercial >advertising. > I've been on this list for over 6 years....and I'd like to respond to some of this trashing of Ron and Ken. First off, I've never had any dealings with Ken..commercial or otherwise. I've placed about 4 or 5 orders with Ron over the past couple of years. Never had a problem with timeliness of delivery, quality of parts, etc.

>Having said that, I too appreciate Ron's and Ken's input, >but suggest it might best be provided as follows. > (Points raised by Kent removed)

Obviously, you are the only one who has a problem with either Ron or Ken....this list was created over 7 or 8 years ago. As I said I have only been on here for 6 years...the last year or so, I've been distracted by the EuroVan and Type 2 list.

Perhaps you are a "newbie" to this list..or at least someone who has been on here for only less than a year. Let me give you some history or my version of history of this list.

At one point in time the Vanagon list was open to owner's of all VW Type 2s....T1s, T2s, T3s (vanagons) and T4s. There was a major sense of community. There were folks selling list shirts and cups, folks advertising their used vans and parts, Uncle Joel did his weekly list, and then there were the Friday Funnies and tales about the California Camping Crazies.

Then the list began to grow and it split into the Type 2 and Vanagon lists. I think at that time, we also lost some of the sense of community and sense of the roots of this list...its rather unfortunate, and I think your remarks lately reflect some of this.

I know that Ron's participation in BOTH lists grew from selling used parts and vans to what has become a full fledged busines. I'm sure the same is with Ken.

The purpose of this list is to help us enjoy our Vanagons...and that's through discussion, Q&A and any other helpful form of communication INCLUDING commercial posting by members. I can see your point about commercialization..I'd hate to have this list suddenly be swamped by vendors who have nothing more than the selling of their wares in mind. However, both Ken and Ron provide a valuable service to this list and I'd hate like hell to see their efforts stifled. I'm sure there are more list members who have the same viewpoint.

Perhaps if this list is too commercial for you:

1. Set your filter on your mail program to filter out any and all posts by Ron and Ken

2. Maybe you should start your own commercial-free vanagon list, I'm sure your commmercial free list will have so much more to offer

3. Or perhaps you should stick to the lists that cater to BMW bikes, Land Rovers, etc.

IMHO.

Ric