Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:36:43 -0700
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Behr Air Conditioning

I have received several inquiries about the layout and configuration of the Behr aftermarket air conditioning system installed in many Vanagons. I have prepared the following (long) description that I hope will be useful to some of my fellow Vanagon owners.

Behr of Germany makes primarily air conditioning systems and radiators. They, like most German companies, make excellent products, some of which have noteworthy flaws. They are a primary supplier to Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen. I have seen units identical to mine in both water and air-cooled Vanagons, and the installation is essentially identical. I believe that they are quite common.

The unit in my 1987 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia consists of a rotary R-12 compressor, mounted on the usual VW brackets on the top at the LR corner of the engine compartment. The compressor is belt-driven, the belt drives the compressor only, no other items. The engine pulley has three belt tiers (a/c, p/s, alternator & water pump). Access for replenishing and checking the freon charge is via schrader valves adjacent to the compressor, on top of the engine. It is an elegant installation, and does not interfere with access to other items on the engine. Removal of the water pump may require moving the compressor. I haven't had to address this yet.

The condenser is mounted in front of the radiator. I suspect is the factory condenser since it fits in the factory mounts, and is as large as the radiator. On the air-cooled Vanagons, the condenser is also mounted in the front, behind the plastic radiator grille and fresh air intake. The receiver/dryer unit is placed immediately adjacent to the condenser, and is accessible via the upper front grille of the Vanagon.

The evaporator is installed under the dashboard on the passenger's side. The large plastic housing also encloses two three-speed blowers. The housing extends below the dashboard, and requires removal of the top half of the glove compartment enclosure, reducing the volume of the glove compartment. Two drain hoses are located at the bottom of the enclosure, connect below the enclosure via a 'Y' connector, with a single hose exiting the interior of the Vanagon through a hole in the floor on the front right corner of the passenger footwell. This plumbing is under the passenger footwell carpet, and is not visible from the interior.

The blowers take in air from under the dashboard, blowing it into the evaporator enclosure. There is a small duct at the top left of the evaporator enclosure (maybe 30mm diameter) which directs air to a dual-vent panel which is installed in the factory radio location. The two hoses from the vents at the ends of the dashboard are disconnected from the stock fresh air intake, and connected to fittings on the evaporator enclosure. The stock fresh air intake is capped, and rendered inoperative to these two vents.

A new housing for the radio is included with the system. The radio mounts in the housing, the housing then attaches, vertically, to the plastic heater outlet panel below the main dashboard. The quality of the replacement radio housing is dubious, it is easily broken.

The system has one large power lead (maybe 10 gauge) which connects to an ignition hot circuit. The system, as supplied by Behr, includes it's own fuse block with 4 fuses. There is a fuse for the compressor, and one for each fan. I do not remember the purpose of the fourth fuse; it may control power to the cooling fan override circuit. On my Vanagon, this fuseblock is located on the "tunnel" behind the heater duct panel. When the radio is moved onto this panel, the radio must be removed before the panel can be moved to access the fuses. There is a wire which in spliced into the factory radiator cooling fan harness, downstream of the radiator thermostat. The radiator cooling fan is activated via this circuit whenever the compressor in engaged, to insure adequate airflow through the condenser.

The air conditioning system has three controls; One for each fan and a rheostat to control cooling. Low and Medium fan speeds are controlled by directing current through appropriate wire resistors for each motor. The rheostat varies the sensitivity of a thermal sensor in the evaporator which engages and disengages the compressor to meet cooling demands.

History; Problems & Fixes:

My Vanagon Syncro was involved in a front-end collision before I bought it in 1992. The overall repair job was excellent; I only figured out what happened when I pulled the dashboard to install an alarm, replace the speedometer cable and get one of the a/c blowers to work on low speed. During replacement of the front sheet metal, the a/c system was disconnected, and not properly rewired. I contacted Behr based on a label I found on the system. They were very helpful, and provided me with extensive documentation and troubleshooting assistance. They advised me that they no longer make this system, and that many of the parts specific to the aftermarket system are no longer available.

On my Vanagon, the weight of the radio frequently "unsnapped" the heater outlet panel from the dashboard on rough roads. I solved this by drilling inconspicuous holes in the heater ducts behind the outlet panel, and using sheet metal screws with metal backplates to physically keep the outlet panel in place. This has been an easy and effective fix; Behr should have thought of this and advised to do this in their installation procedures.

The Low and Medium fan speed resistor pack for fan motor #2 failed, and a replacement part was not available. I fixed this by connecting the HIGH setting of fan #2 to the HIGH circuit on fan #1 so that both fans are on full blast when the fan #1 switch is on the HIGH position. The fan switch for fan #2 has been removed, and replaced by a red LED which comes on whenever the compressor is engaged. This helps me know if the compressor is running when attempting to climb hills. If necessary, I can adjust the temperature rheostat such that the compressor disengages so that maximum power is available for propulsion. The fan(s) continue to run, circulating residual cool air until I manually engage the compressor. I found, this summer, on a long drive across the Eastern Colorado desert that the fan switch was overheating when on high. It did OK with only one fan, but two fans is overloading it. I will replace the switch and put a relay into the HIGH fan circuit when I have the dashboard out to resolve some unrelated problems.

The evaporator enclosure has cracked near one of the drain hoses, causing water to drip into the passenger footwell. Hopefully some silicone seal will address this.

The unit became discharged once during the six years I have owned it. One of the schraeder valves in the engine compartment failed, allowing the freon to leak out. The system was evacuated, re-lubricated and recharged and has been subsequently trouble-free.

Advantages of Behr Aftermarket System: 1) No ceiling ducts, blowers or controls to fall on your head 2) No loss of overhead storage cabinet to rear evaporator as on factory unit. 3) No auxiliary air intake imbedded in LR window. 4) Adequate on long trips in summer when cooling for extended period. 5) Recirculates interior air for maximum cooling efficiency. 6) Loss of fresh air ventilation capability at dash end vents. 7) Clean, inconspicuous installation.

Disadvantages of Behr Aftermarket System: 1) Only front passengers receive cooling. No direct ducts to rear of Vanagon 2) Loss of approximately 1/2 glove compartment volume. 3) Placement of fuse panel behind dash panel is inconvenient. 4) Dual blowers loud when both on high. 5) Radio housing for remounting is easily damaged.

I hope that this information is of moderate usefulness!! Jon B Kanas

Lockheed Martin Corporation Flight Systems Spacecraft Test Lab 303-977-6354 jon.b.kanas@lmco.com