Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:10:18 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 1.9l TD Engine torque & power tables, westy drag.
Comments: To: albell@uvic.ca
Comments: cc: vw-diesel@velocity.bc.ca
              Bell on Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:46:59 -0800)

From: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

> >You would actually need all terms in the polynomial. >Contributiong to the force is: >0th order: static friction. >1st: surface friction in laminar flow, tire and bearing friction etc. >2nd: Turbulent flow. >The "fitted curve" on my graph is done this way. >

Ahh, sorry, once again I jumped the gun! I have to admit that i didn't look at your "methods" on your webpage (writing this at home using a 10year old SE/30, good for mail but not so good at web browsing, that'll have to wait 'tll i get to work). Anyway, I assumed that the drag was calculated from actual "road" measurements, not a calculated value.

The road test data is used to find the coefficients in the model. The raw data was also plotted, but of course only gives a few point values.

Here are the links if you forgot them:

A power curve: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/engine/diesel1.9/Diesel1.9l_12_98.gif

Torque curve: http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/engine/diesel1.9/Diesel1.9lTorque_12_98.gif

Drag curve: http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/engine/diesel1.9/WestyDrag_12_98.gif

Tire friction is (somewhat) significant. After some (a lot of) search you can find coefficients for this from the major tire manufacturers. I posted some years ago, but forgot the details. Think that the linear term is about 10kW or maybe 10 hp at 60 mph. Not dominating, but not insignificant either.

/Martin