Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:39:30 EST
From:         Brad Spear <SSGSPEAR@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report and other things

Just made the trip from here, Burnsville, MN to there, Hillsdale, Rockville, and Indianapolis, IN and back over Christmas. Temps were pretty much the same here and there although I thought they would be MUCH warmer there. The trip down started out pretty much uneventful, just the usual cold weather cut out. I have got to get that wiring harness! When I stopped to get gas in El Paso, IL, I noticed oil on the back window. Just a few drops, but more than enough to notice. The closer I got to Bloomington/Normal the more oil was on the window. When I got on I-74 the oil light flashed, couple of times, really, just thout I was seeing things, then the buzzer went off, fortunately, right by a rest area. Put the oil I had with me, one quart, and went to the next exit and got few more. Stopped at Wal-Mart in Champaigne and got a case and topped off the oil. That got me as far as Hillsdale when the buzzer went off again. Topped off again. When I got to Rockville, one more quart. My Dad suggested that there may be a build up of pressure in the case from piston blow-by, the engine does have 175,000+ miles on it, and to try taking the filler cap off and covering the filler with a rag to see if the breather was clogged.

Well, on the trip back, I only lost one quart, which for 650 miles is still not good but a lot better than nine! So, I have to look at that.

I also have to do the front left outter CV joint. It just went out on the way home from work today. I found out that two wheel drive Vanagons are not anywhere near as good in the snow as four wheel!

Now I just wish it was warmer in the garage. Not heat there except what comes from the house. It's about -10 outside and +10 inside the garage.

Oh, well, such is life!

Later all!

SFC Brad Spear '72 Westy (Needing cylinder heads) '87 Syncro GL (Crippled)