Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:59:34 EST
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bullet Proof Trans-reply

jyasmen1@NYCAP.RR.COM writes:

<< I know there are quite a few vendors here, the best offer I deal I have is from Bus Depot for one rebuilt by Rancho Trans for $750 + shipping. I figure if all the people are here advertising their wares maybe I can get a little price war going. Always worth a try. >>

That's a good price on a rebuilt Vanagon gearbox and both Ron (Bus Depot) and Rancho have good reputations. I sell a rebuilt 091-1 for $100 more and there are others that ask even higher amounts. What you want to ensure while price shopping is that you are getting exactly the same product. I don't 'beat by 5%', or whatever, on my prices. I know what is required of both my labor and the quality of parts that I use and set my prices accordingly. I'm sure Ron and others do the same. I'm sure that if someone tried to lowball you on a job that you believed you were quoting correctly on, then you would tell that person to go ahead and get it from that other supplier. Why should you take it in the shorts simply because someone else is willing to? In otherwords, count me out on any kind of bidding war. Ron's got me beat by $100 and I won't go any lower. Good luck on your search. Just make sure that you don't work yourself down to the point where you get a grease monkey job because they offered the lowest price.

-Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA 360-412-0948

PS- Ain't no such thing as a Bullet proof anything.