Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:14:20 EST
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: do our tranny's have 2 or 4 spider gears?-reply

desa4622@KETTERING.EDU writes:

<<I'm looking for a transaxle with gusseting/strengthening materials, and a stronger gear set, and whatever else is needed to let the tranny handle 210 lb-ft of torque. i'm having no problems as of yet, but i have 205560 on the original tranny, and now i stuck in a hi-po engine...>>

Thats pretty good for an early 091-1 gearbox. Most of the time I see about 150K or so before an overhaul might be necessary. The most current replacement case is a stronger aluminum alloy than the original so you'll probably want to use that. Now -AFAIK- there are not any HD mainshafts and gears for 1st and 2nd available in the stock ratios. The closest I can get is a 3.78 X 2.21 instead of the regular 3.78 X 2.06. Thirds and Fourths are available in HD stock ratio versions, however. Figure on a $1000 just for the mainshaft and idler gears with new 3rd and 4th sets. There are less expensive ones out there but I don't want to rehash whats already been said about the value of cheaper components.

<< so to get to the real question.... the people at rancho performance transaxles said that my tranny had 4 spider gears and that it was strong enough to withstand the brunt of my engine...... >>

It may or may not have a 4 spider diff. In fairly new or in excellent condition a stock transaxle should be able to handle the HP of a 3.4L Chevy V6. That is as long as it isn't abused. Older transaxles (like ones with over 200K) might not take the additional strain as well as a younger one and could possibly fail sooner.

<<...and then i talked to a person from wp racing gears who said that i only have 2 spider gears and i would need a strengthened 3-4 shifter and 4 spider gears and all this other stuff, but i'm really really confused......>>

You spoke with either Chris or John there. Chances are you do have a 2 spider diff as the 4 spider ones aren't that common. And I tend to agree with what they said about the 3rd/4th shifter (I bet they said hub) and a 4 spider diff along with some other areas which should be strengthened.

<< oh eyah , and what is a spider gear anyway? >>

Its the small gear inside the differential housing that transmits power to the side gears. These side gears are splined on one end and the inner CV flanges slip over that shaft. Without these spider gears transmitting power from one side to the other you couldn't go around corners as both the inner and outer wheels would spin at the same rate/speed. They allow 'slippage' and for one wheel to turn at a different rate than the other. A 2 spider diff has one spider at, say, 12 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. The 4 spider one would support the sidegears much better with one at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

-Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA 360-412-0948