Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:41:08 -0500
From:         Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15 inch wheels and offset (non) 'problem'
Comments: To: Merrag@aol.com

I used aftermarket Vanagon lugnuts, they fill the wheel-hole perfectly. They were a little deeper than some original ones I had. The lugs for the alloy wheels, of course, do not work at all, as the profile is wrong. I just removed the 2 bolts on the drums, they are not serving any purpose anyway once the wheel is installed. I plan to manufacture some spacers in bulk later in the spring, and will offer them to list-members as needed.

Karl

-----Original Message----- From: Merrag@aol.com <Merrag@aol.com> To: thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 1:17 PM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] 15 inch wheels and offset (non) 'problem'

Karl, I just put on a set of these wheels with BFG AT’s in 215/75/15 on my 86 Syncro. I like them, they really fill out the wheel wells. I am interested in how the stock lug nuts worked for you. I found them to be too big or wide for the Passat wheel holes, so I found some aftermarket lugs that had a slightly smaller shoulder. Works OK, but I wonder if there is something better? I guess you altered the two drum to wheel hub bolts on the back so the wheel could sit flat on the drum? My handling seems better in a way, I guess it’s the difference between 185/14’s and 215/15’s, but I may try the 6mm spacer to see if it changes things. I also got 98 Jetta Hubcaps that I altered slightly to fit, they look good. Take care. Raúl Cisneros 86 Syncro GL 87 Syncro Westy