Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:36:29 -0500
From:         "Seth C. Bruggeman" <scbrug@MAIL.WM.EDU>
Subject:      If it's not one thing, it's another...

Just when you think you're getting ahead of the maintenance schedule...

Over the holidays I finally spent some quality time with my 84 Westy: oil change, new filters, new plugs, new dist. rotor/cap, timing check, etc. plus replacement of all fuel lines from expansion tanks back to fuel filter (including those !@#$% y-fittings on the top of the tank). All was well for a couple hundred miles (lots of holiday travel this year) until endless cups of convenience store coffee forced me to visit a roadside rest area. I parked the westy, did my business, returned, and...nothing. The engine turned over as usual, but no start.

My first thought was clogged fuel system--though I tried to keep the tank away from dirt/debris while on my garage floor, I figured some bit of dirt might have found its way into the tank and, hence, the fuel filter. So, I pulled the line at the filter and gas poured out. O.K. Later, I checked my injectors to make sure nothing had made it that far and, fortunately, nothing had--each injector offered a nice conical spray of gas.

Next, ignition. I've checked all obvious ignition components from plugs to coil, though not including the coil. All seems fine. Could the coil be bad? Is there any way to check the thing other than with an ohmeter (I can't seem to find one)? If not, anybody have any ideas...its pretty cold out and I'd rather generate ideas inside before going out to check...

Seth B. '84 Westy