Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:37:19 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warm up time

I've read the many people's thoughts about this exact topic, warming cold engines. Generally, the weight of opinion of those whose opinions I trust most on other issues disagree with Ken's on one point. And that is not about excessive motor speed when it's cold. There seems to be universal agreement among almost everyone on that except some nitwit (just my opinion) who lived next to me with a new Mercedes diesel who would fire that thing up in the dead of winter and race its motor until it sounded like it was ready to "lunch on the launch pad." I identified with that motor and I felt like I was being punished by this unfair action. Ok, so I'm not rational. <G>

Here's my understanding of the most preferred cold weather starting method for long motor life. As soon as you get the motor to start, watch for full oil pressure to show. That's usually no more than 2 seconds. Then, keeping the rpms as low as possible to pull the load, put it in gear and start driving very slowly, shifting up at as low an rpm as the motor can easily handle the load of each next gear. This load warms the engine much more quickly and greatly reduces the period during which motor heat is so low that internal condensation of acidic combustion blow-by occurs, which contaminates the oil. The engine should be well heated for long enough to drive any of this condensation into a vaporous state so it can be purged from the system before turning the motor off again. So the absolutely WORST driving cycle I've seen was the person on a 5 acre estate who started her car and drove to the front of their lot to get mail, and then drove back to park it until she repeated the cycle the next day. I got all kinds of flack for trying to explain this.

Ok, supposing you have an automatic, and you'd prefer to not run the motor fast enough in low gear to get it up to the first automatic shift rpm. Fair enough. The same loading to speed warming rules apply. Start it. Wait for the oil pressure to stabilize. Then with you foot on the brake, put the transmission in "drive" and load up the engine to a moderate throttle setting against the slipping torque converter for a minute or two. Then drive off. You aren't slipping any clutches. They are fully engaged. But you are converting a lot of energy to heat in the transmission's torque converter and warming the engine much more quickly. It would take several minutes of slipping before the transmission would get hot enough to cause trouble. But in the short term, you are greatly abbreviating your combined motor and transmission's warming period toward normal design operating temperatures. While this procedure is safe and based on good thinking, if you do it with an uninformed person in the car, you're likely to experience another kind of heat ~ social heat. Just explain that you care so much about their comfort that you're doing this to give them some warmth from the heater faster. That is unless you're a glutton for punishment, in which case you can tell them the truth.

Where's my asbestos suit? John